Warning!! dont game on a laptop!

jerb

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hi, all.

I just wanted to share my experience with u all.

A while back (like 4 years back or so) i really wanted a laptop, really really bad! I decided on a IBM think pad T-41. a great business machine model but not a good machine for gaming.

I ran cnc generals and diablo2 and WOW (raiding molten core for hours), my lappy would get so dam hot it could cook eggs or melt a hole in a card table.
and mind u them arnt the most intensive games hehe.

Anyways, i ended up frying my laptop after my warranty was up:( and now the price to fix it, well.... im better buying another laptop).

So be carefull and my advice is, if u buy a lappy get the extra 3 year awsome warranty if u can, (the warranty that covers even if u drop the darn thing) or i suppose maybee the dell xps or the 3"inch gamer model laptops would be a good choice (im still sceptical on these compared to a desktop)

just dont go buy a run of the mill lap top and game for hours on end :)

~jerb

teeth_03

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Gaming laptops are big waste of money (stupid me is typing on a E1705 that has a Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS that im trying to sell on ebay).

Buy laptops for portability,for doing light tasks and work. Buy desktops for Gaming and heavy tasks like video editing.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Gaming laptops are nice for some things, and they do have their place. For example, I'm in college and have an XPS M1710. It is quite convenient to head down the hall of the dorm, set up a router, and have a mini lan party in someone's room. This with a desktop would suck. However, you also can't expect them to deliver in the way a desktop can, especially in the same price range.

Well said. :sol:

If someone has the money why not getting a beast laptop?
XPS M1730 and SAGER NP9262 are 2 laptops which outperform many current laptops they both have DUAL 8800MGTX laptops + 4GB RAM and the XPS one is equipped with Intel Mobile CPU up to X9000 which can be OC'd and the second one is equipped with Intel desktop CPU (Core2Duo and Quad) and they have a 17" LCD with 1920x1200 resolution which makes them a perfect desktop replacement and also in a country like IRAN which PC components are expensive, the laptops looke very applealing

For example in IRAN, the PC i want cost this:
24" Monitor = 1380US$
2x8800GT=600US$
4GB RAM=200US$
780i MOBO=200-300US$
320GB HDD=80US$
CPU COOLER=70US$
PSU=250-300US$
CASE=150US$

This setup costs alot less in US and makes laptops like the XPS M1730 and the NP9262 very good options for me, also i get the portability of it and its more silent than a desktop.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I would question the more silent - my 1710 is quite loud when fully revved up (not as loud as my Klipsches though, so it's all good :D), and I can't imagine the even more powerful and power hungry 1730 and Sager would be quieter.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I had a friend recently who gamed on her HP business laptop. She played WoW in her bed all the time, and left the psu under the covers. Well, it melted down. I smacked my face when I heard about it...just a dumb way to treat your PC. She typically got to school with the PC, would open the laptop's case, and start playing, with the notebook still sitting inside of the base of the case. I think I almost screamed. It does have a heat vent for a reason, you know..

Anyway, I find gaming on my laptop to be a lot better than my desktop...the specs are different, yes, but still. I can game comfortably anywhere I want, and it feels good. My desktop is much, much louder than my laptop will ever be, as it has a Thermaltake Venus 12 running at 5900rpm or so. (But it does keep that Athlon XP OC cool). My external hard disk is louder than my sager NP5793.

Gaming laptops have their place, and they are here to stay.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
as a general rule laptops are always going to run hotter than desktops just simple heat at work. less space for heat to dissipate and less power pushing the accumuated heat away makes for a toasty lap no matter what. I personally run my laptop on either a targus chillmat (have to buy a new one my power supply connector cacked out) or failing that on a good solid hardcover book that sits between my lap and the laptop to promote airflow. Another handy trick is using a program to undervolt your CPU. I myself run a Turion X2 TL-50 @.9V as opposed to stock 1.075V and it runs just fine several programs are out there to on the fly undervolt. best advice on this simply keep undervolting until you get an error then go back up one voltage and then you'll be able to do anything I even game playing UT 2004, Fear and Quake Wars at my undervolted settings with no problems. my laptop at full load is about 60-65 degrees cpu max. On the discussion of loud desktops lol my old desktop (which I sold soon after buying my laptop since my laptop smoked it) had a thermaltake dragon orb running at 5700+rpm as well as 4 case fans so it was a loud SOB. my laptop at it's loudest is about 1/3 the volume if that.

just be safe try some undervolting and never ever run your laptop actually on your lap without something between your legs and the laptop

hope this helps and sorry to hear about your old Thinkpad dying they are great machines my first laptop was a P3 700 I series thinkpad it was great but sadly it's inverter cable died :(

TRENDING THREADS