Warranty Company Drop Tests iPad 2, PlayBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Looks like my HTC Droid Incredible is MUCH more durable than a tablet then....I have dropped it from waist height several times in nothing but the cheak verizon OEM holster/cover combo and it has NO scratches or cracks on the screen.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Looks like my HTC Droid Incredible is MUCH more durable than a tablet then....I have dropped it from waist height several times in nothing but the cheak verizon OEM holster/cover combo and it has NO scratches or cracks on the screen.[/citation]
I own the same device, and have dropped it as such WITHOUT any cover of any sort. So far it has received nothing but small scratches on the plastic housing, and no malfunctions. =)
Although I'm sure its light weight compared to a tablet has something to do with it.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]But will it blend?[/citation]
you haven't watch the videos for a long time I take it. Both iPad and iPad 2 will blend

[citation][nom]frye[/nom]Who would drop it with the screen pointed directly down?[/citation]
by accident?
although realistically I think drops for gadgets as large as the iPad will hit edge first. Force concentrated at a smaller surface area, but if the devices had better construction there...

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Actually we all know that some of these types of devices are built to withstand some occasional bumps and drops, usually they are built to business specifications.

But you have to admit that the thought of laying down many hundreds of dollars for your new TOY and perhaps destroying it perhaps only hours or days after you get it is a gut wrenching feeling.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
The iPad2 without the smart cover could already have been broken before they dropped it as they didn't show the cover prior to dropping.

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]by accident?although realistically I think drops for gadgets as large as the iPad will hit edge first. Force concentrated at a smaller surface area, but if the devices had better construction there...[/citation]

Yeah. You're much more likely to either be holding it on it's side (walking with it) or having the screen face-up (using it) when you drop it.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]The iPad2 without the smart cover could already have been broken before they dropped it as they didn't show the cover prior to dropping.[/citation]
It's a fair assumption, although WITH the smart cover, the glass breaks from a drop just a foot higher.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Looks like my HTC Droid Incredible is MUCH more durable than a tablet then....I have dropped it from waist height several times in nothing but the cheap Verizon OEM holster/cover combo and it has NO scratches or cracks on the screen.[/citation]
We can certainly draw a conclusion from this information: You're clumsy and/or careless.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]frye[/nom]Who would drop it with the screen pointed directly down?[/citation]
Murphy's Law. Just like when you drop a toast it will fall on the buttered side.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
my ancient pocket pc in the cheap case that came with it, survived a shoulder high drop onto and down a few steps (had it in my shirt pocket, then when running down the stairs, it slipped out and fell down the rest of the way. it still worked and had no scratches or dents.

an ipad is easier to break as they made the glass thinner and also because the glass is not supported in the center (which it cant be)

the iphone 4 breaks easily also because there is no buffer areas for impact.

if you were to take apart something like a hp ipaq rx3110, you will nothce that the outer frame forms a boarder of empty space, the device can be made much thinner in all directions but they did not. Have you ever wondered why so many older devices did this?

it is because when you drop a device, the unit flexes. the added space allows the outside to flex while the fragile internal components remain unharmed.

look for high speed footage of electronic devices being dropped, you will see odd things such as a device that feels sturdy looking like jello when it falls.

devices designed to handle this have a buffer zone inside in order to prevent the energy from the impact from being transferred to the internal components, devices like the iphone don't.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Better question, whos gonna drop it and aim how it falls? They are just checking worst case.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]...if you were to take apart something like an HP iPAQ rx3110, you will notice that the outer frame forms a boarder of empty space, the device can be made much thinner in all directions but they did not...[/citation]
The device must have been very big if there was a boarder (a person who pays a stipulated sum in return for regular meals or for meals and lodging) in it. Did this person stay in the border around the display?

pcracer51

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I'd like to see a drop from someone in motion, say walking by and it slips out of their hands. I face first drop is probably the best test for a controlled fall to measure the damage due to the glass being the weakest part of the construction, but in real life, it's not going to fall that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.