Warranty Water Damage

Btrfly76

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
Please help...I need some techy rebuttals to use against a big box store that is refusing to cover my extended warranty. They told me my motherboard is toast due to water damage.

I used it maybe 30 times in 2 years. It was stored in a safe place in my desk and was never left running. Nor have I ever spilt anything on it!

Apparently this blue dot tells them it got wet. But I have heard that moisture in the air can cause that as well.

It powers up but I can't see anything (touch screen) I hdmi hooked it to my TV hoping it would work but nothing.

They want to charge me 400 to fix it yet!! I am soo upset any info will help. I want to ask the right questions when this Mgr calls me back.

Ty Charlene

Solution
Hi
It could be humidity in the air causing water to condense that has caused the blue dot problem.
It is actually better for computer equipment to be run continuously in a high humidity environment as the heat generated prevents condensation and as such hardly ever using it and storing it in a desk could well be the source of your problems.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

Now come on. Dollars is the most quick to assume, and technically it'd be his fault for not specifying. I asked if it was the Geek Squad because they're a scamming company.

Anyways, can we get back to his original question? Blue dot, supposed moisture damage.

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Unfortunately, you have little to no recourse. No matter your argument it will be their tech's call on whether or not water damage was a factor. Water damage doesn't always leave a sign, so that dot is all they have to go on. The best you can do is politely make your argument for a faulty "dot". Try to show him a article from a reputable source.

I assume the PC is over 2 years old, I say you take it as a lesson learned and get yourself a new PC w/o a warranty. Better yet build it yourself. The combined warranty of a self built PC is way better then a prebuilt.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
It could be humidity in the air causing water to condense that has caused the blue dot problem.
It is actually better for computer equipment to be run continuously in a high humidity environment as the heat generated prevents condensation and as such hardly ever using it and storing it in a desk could well be the source of your problems.

Solution