(was) Giving up SETI

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Giving up SETI

I’m tired of always having work units that I can’t send because of their lack of bandwidth. I usually turn of my computer at night (when I might actually be able to send em) so I have to end task every time I want to shut down. I’m using SETI spy with SETI driver and don’t feel like going back to screen saver version. I’m not even sure if these work units are ever getting sent.

So I’m looking for a new program to take SETI’s place. What do u guys recommend?

The Cancer might be OK but I’m concerned about who profits form it.

I was also thinking of the one where you try to find the largest prime number. But then again., who cares? How is a larger prime number going to help or make a difference? Kind if seems like a waste of time.

Thx in advanced & Cya

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lowlypawn on 06/01/02 09:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've noticed the same thing with SETI, although I always have a 5 wu cache set up, so I'm never out of units to crunch even if their server is down for a bit. All my units get sent, although it may take a while to download.

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have my cache set at 10 but it's still annoying.

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I have Seti Queue running for all my machines to pull wu off of and its set to keep 175 wu minium qued. I do see times when it can't transmit but it just keeps trying until it can send them and with that many in que I'm generally good for 5 days of wu processing.

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
We can use your help on UD .. THG UD Team..

<font color=blue>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=blue>

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
If you really have Given up on SETI there are quite a few projects out there. You are correct in noting that UD is a for profit organization, however, the cancer research portion does seem to be "goodwill" as the ownership of any discovered drugs would be property of the university of oxford, and not united devices. If your still not convinced, theres always fightaids@home by entropia, but this is also a for profit corporation.

Folding at home is a genome folding project that is non-profit. Distributed.net checks keys for encryption codes with a possibility of a prize if you get the key. Then there is the mersennes prime search (pardon the spelling).

Golem at home was kinda a neat one, but not as stable. It actually tried to "evolve" things using your spare computing power. If your computer evolved something of scientific value you would have been the owner of the idea :) . This project has currently concluded however. But you can still run the client for the fun of it if you like.

There are a few paying projects out there, but you need to have a high bandwidth connection (and your ISP will hate you).
A quick yahoo search on these will yield the website, good luck :).

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com; Member name : The Collective)

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
It's amazing how fast SETI took off in popularity. It's just too bad that the bandwidth couldn't be increased as fast as the number of crunchers did. Now look, SETI is losing popularity. Kinda ironic, don't ya think?

Anyways, I've decided to stick it out since I'm hooked up with a cable modem (AT&T Broadband) and with my overclocked XP1500+, I'm averaging 3hr 59min 01.6sec a WU! I keep scrolling down the list of members and either most people started SETI with slow processors and 'hurt' their average in the beginning or I was lucky enough to get a very sweet combination of hardware during my last upgrade. I don't believe my overclock by itself is the reason for my fast average, just so you all know that I'm not here being a braggart. I can look beyond the numbers and think of many reasons for the so-called poor avg's.

Well like I said, I'm sticking with SETI if it's just to see how far I can move up in the standings in THG SETI Team. Maybe I'll be able to catch up with Silverpig someday! :cool:

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most people with higher averages have been running seti for a long time (prolly since the P3 500 days), and many of them have seti running on a lot of machines, some of which are still very old.

As for me, I've only ever had seti running on one computer at a time (a P3700 @ 966 originally, then when that got stolen, I got this Tbird900@1000). I have one of the best averages on the team, but it's nothing really all that special :smile:

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thx for the ideas, the only one that perks my interest is the cancer one. Lately I’ve been too lazy to switch over. I also have been leaving my computer on (running KaZaA) so my work units have not been piling up. It’s hard to give up something you have put so much time into (CPU time 3.22 years over 2200 work units).

My average time is so high because I have used a PII300 for years and my current rig is only an AMD 950 (was running at just over 1 gig but wanted to lower the voltage and keep it stable). My upgrade rule is wait until I can get something 3 times as fast. So when AMD hit 3 gig I’m there.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Lowlypawn,
Like you, I've been very disappointed by SETI's bandwidth limitations. I even went to a 35 W/U cache to transmit on the weekends, but even that too became difficult... but have you tried them lately? For the last few days at least the response is back to normal. You can actually transmit units at will!!!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I just did a simple test: Upped my cache size by 5 WU's and hit transmit. After SETIDriver connected, the screen looked like it couldn't scroll fast enough to keep up with the download!! Less than 10 sec, the 5 extra WU's were d/l'd. Now I'm going to wait to see how fast I can upload completed WU's. I'll let a few get completed then do a manual transmit. This should be interesting!

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SETI just got a new 100 mbit pipe, so there shouldn't be any problems anymore. Their netgraphs show a sustained usage of about 30-35 mbits, so there's plenty of overhead.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Cool, I guess I’m staying (for awhile).

Thx anyway.

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There was one I was signed up for a while ago called the process tree. I joined really early, and basically, it worked like this:

Some scientist guy takes a ton of data, and can't afford the million dollar computer to crunch the numbers, so he sends his work to this company who breaks it up, distributes it to clients who process it, and then collects the results and sends it back. The company collects, and gives some of the money to it's clients.

I was signed up for about 6 months, but, despite them actually having a few projects, never got called upon for work. They had a few non-paying free clients that I did for a while, but nothing that got me any money. Eventually, the company went under, but I thought it was a cool idea, and I'm pretty sure they actually did a few projects for people.