Watch Dogs Primer: What You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
watchdogs and assassins creed? thats an odd comparison. its more like GTA4/5 with hacking. also the claims of 300 hours of gameplay seem a little exaggerated. my mates son finished the campaign (single player on ps4) in a little less than 12 hours @58% complete. he reckons maybe another 8 to 10 to get the other 48%

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I can see what Marshall is getting at, as to the gameplay time... would be a bit sad if a game of this potential could not captivate you for at least 12 days worth... lol

Will find out when I eventually get it. Although to be fair I am the kinda guy who can make some impressive mountains out of the games I play and have a Lot of fun with them too :)

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
"Tom's Guide is currently working on a detailed report about which aspects of "Watch Dogs" are totally make-believe and which are more realistic than we might like to believe. In general, though, "Watch Dogs" is unrealistic for one reason: the CtOS."

**BUZZZ!*

No it's not. When you consider today's government overreach into our personal lives, and businesses wanting to know if you have a facebook account, and things of that ilk, the CtOS isn't nearly as far fetched, as the city would be able to gain better control over your private life, without having to rely on the Federal government's involvement.

We already have those damned traffic cameras set up everywhere. We know that in some instances, the cameras are manually controlled, and your daily travels are being monitored to some degree.

I had an instance where a cop raced to my location, which ended up in a questioning of what I was doing and where I was going.

The cop said I was driving aggressively (which is the norm for me, but hardly beyond the speed limit) and we weren't even on the same block (the cop was on another block coming over a bridge, a little over 1/4 of a mile from my location at the time.

Said cop even knew something was going on with my home at the time after having my license in hand. To add to this, how did this cop know my vehicle was a black truck, to be able to identify me without actual visual contact?

So how is the CtOS so far fetched, when those things are considered? if anything, it's closer to reality than anyone may want to admit.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-big-data-chicago-20140621,0,2219153,full.story

Just to update this article, THIS changes everything we thought we knew.

"The curled metal fixtures set to go up on a handful of Michigan Avenue light poles later this summer may look like delicate pieces of sculpture, but researchers say they'll provide a big step forward in the way Chicago understands itself by observing the city's people and surroundings.

The smooth, perforated sheaths of metal are decorative, but their job is to protect and conceal a system of data-collection sensors that will measure air quality, light intensity, sound volume, heat, precipitation and wind. The sensors will also count people by measuring wireless signals on mobile devices.

Some experts caution that efforts like the one launching here to collect data from people and their surroundings pose concerns of a Big Brother intrusion into personal privacy.

In particular, sensors collecting cellphone data make privacy proponents nervous. But computer scientist Charlie Catlett said the planners have taken precautions to design their sensors to observe mobile devices and count contact with the signal rather than record the digital address of each device.

Researchers have dubbed their effort the "Array of Things" project. Gathering and publishing such a broad swath of data will give scientists the tools to make Chicago a safer, more efficient and cleaner place to live, said Catlett, director of the Urban Center for Computation and Data, part of a joint initiative between the University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory, near Lemont."

UBIsoft has always done their homework when it comes to these things. You see it in their various of games like Ghost Recon Phantoms, which takes certain devices, items, and ideas, and brings them to reality. In Watchdogs, we can actually see the CtOS in these sensors in lamp posts, Now, in the story, it's only currently along a stretch of road in a particularly well secured area. But imagine those sensors all over the city. Isn't that CtOS in itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.