Way to know if a computer has been turned on?

john bob

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Hello,

I have bought a Asus laptop, the sealed security label is half peeled and I want to know if there is a way to know if the computer has been turned on?

Thanks

Solution
You could dust it for finger prints.
Chances are that ASUS Q/A has tested the laptop for functionality prior to shipment (and prior to placing the seal). Did you buy the laptop from ASUS directly or through a reseller?

You could check the dates of various files/logs on your hard drive.
Make sure that windows is uninitialized (needed that first user/fresh install customization) but this is not foolproof, as perhaps Asus handles that for you.

If you are truly concerned, contact whoever you got the laptop from and file a complaint, demand a refund, or replacement.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
In Windows go to Computer Management and view the event log, that will let you know if/when it was turned on.

Note that it was likely turned on at some point for initial setup and QC. If it is a refurbished unit then the security tag may have been removed in the repair process and most referb units are not covered under the manufacturer warranty anyways (though sometimes you get lucky) so it is likely a moot point. If it is a new unit then I would contact the manufacturer or seller right away and let them know about the broken seal and find out if that is going to be an issue down the road if you have a problem.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
You could dust it for finger prints.
Chances are that ASUS Q/A has tested the laptop for functionality prior to shipment (and prior to placing the seal). Did you buy the laptop from ASUS directly or through a reseller?

You could check the dates of various files/logs on your hard drive.
Make sure that windows is uninitialized (needed that first user/fresh install customization) but this is not foolproof, as perhaps Asus handles that for you.

If you are truly concerned, contact whoever you got the laptop from and file a complaint, demand a refund, or replacement.

Solution