WD Elements won't register on my computer

Ben_KP

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
I recently bought a WD Elements 1tb portable hard drive to back up my computer on. When I went to use it, it would not appear anywhere on my computer. The light on the hard drive came on but it is not in the device manager or anywhere as far as I can tell. I am using Windows 10 and I only realized after looking closely at the box that it is compatible with Windows 8 and all before that. Also I have looked and I can't find any other hard drives that are compatible with Windows 10. It works on my other family's computer but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it work on my PC.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Ben_KP,

Sorry that you are facing some issues with your WD drive.

What is the OS of the other computer? Is it Win 10 or a previous version of it? Also, you can check whether the HDD is recognized by Disk Management.

Apart from that, I guess you can go to your MOBO's website and update your USB drivers.

In case you have another drive, it would be nice to try it on the Win 10 system.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD

Ben_KP

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Hey, thank you for the response D_Know_WD

The OS system is Windows 8 on the other computer, I just stated that to say that it is working, sorry if I confused you.

So I tried it out on my Xbox as well while I was downloading the updates for my MOBO and after I reformatted it on the Xbox it did connect to my computer and I can use it normally.

Will this have any affect on my use of it?
Ben_KP

D_Know_WD

Estimable
So the HDD works just fine now right?
Many users are facing some HDD/Win 10 problems, most of which are drivers related.

I don't think this should have any effect on using it.

It is always a good idea to test the drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool from time to time. The results should show you the overall health status of the drive.

WD's DLG tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=l0KpdT

Cheers,
D_Know_WD