WD MyBook World Edition, Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpp_83

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I have an original MBWE and the interface and mionet are just terrible. I don't know if WD still restrict that file types you can share over the net (no media files etc.) but I was much happier after I had zapped the WD stuff and used the built-in linux--http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/start

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hpp_83[/nom]I have an original MBWE and the interface and mionet are just terrible. I don't know if WD still restrict that file types you can share over the net (no media files etc.) but I was much happier after I had zapped the WD stuff and used the built-in linux--http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/start[/citation]
hpp,
Streaming filetypes was a big problem on the old version of the World Edition, but from my tests, the only limiting factor when it came to file types was what your Xbox 360/PS3/PC/etc could handle.

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

stephenpmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Don't judge the new MBWE by the old one. The file system has been completely re-written, from scratch. It is much, much faster, especially on a LAN. -- Steve Morgan

G

It would have been nice to see some independent tests performed on the ethernet speed of this device (read:not WDC's propaganda tests). As is witnessed from the customer reviews on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136138

the "gigabit" ethernet speeds of the first version weren't anywhere close to even 100 megabit. So a verification of this problem being fixed would have been nice.

Also, I don't get the assumption that the average "home" user would use it via wireless. Being a NAS device, it doesn't matter where you put this device in your home and for most people it's even easier to plop it down next to your router and plug it in than to put it else where and have to configure the wireless encryption on it.

To me, the whole point of a 2TB NAS would be to store all of my media files and transferring a 4GB or 8GB movie file over 54Mb wireless would render having this thing pointless. And while we're on this subject, why was wireless N not included as an option??? That would have been a lot more useful than the older and much slower b/g.

a1exh

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
What a crappy review! The new MBWE beats all other NAS boxes for the capacity ($/GB) and performance ($/MBit/s) but they don't mention that!

Why review a product that does not have native wireless support via a wireless connection? With no comparisons?

Skibumtx

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Ok,

To make this the perfect hub in my house I would also be able to connect my printer to the device and utilize it from any PC. My printer works great and I really don't want to replace it just to get a network-ready one. Anyone working on that?

G

Did you actually test this with a PS3 or just an XBOX360? I ask because I cannot see any files on my PS3.

G

if anyone knows how to get the mbwe working with the wd tv...please share...i'm cracking my head open trying to figure it out

teinturman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hi , i agree with a1exh,

The price review is comparing storage prices from Nas devices and direct attached storage but does not compare the price of this NAS with other NAS !

The Mybook World WhiteLight is one of the cheapest NAS, can stream media over dlna, have correct performance when wired. ( it will probably go thru CPL instead of wifi when streaming to your console...)

Additionnally, you can even add more features to your Mybook if you want to apply some modifications (voiding your warranty) described on some sites.

G

Thanks for the pre-Leopard info advice for Backup Anywhere. Have just spent half the day pulling my hair out trying to get this to work on a Snow Leopard machine....with no luck! Time to dust off old-faithful running Tiger :)

Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.