Question WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD

Mar 15, 2022
I installed the new wd_black sn850 SSD in my Dell Precision 7740 that now won't turn on. It also has, intel I9 core w/2666 mghz 16 GB RAM, I have ordered 3200 mghz RAM 64 gb that I’ll install once I have it.

Issue: My laptop however will not power on with the SN850 installed. Cannot access the bios settings either.

With my old SSD installed the system powers on, all is fine.

Can someone lend some guidance please? Thanks!

Mar 15, 2022
It powers on for a second, during that time I see the keyboard and lower button lites come on, and the fan kicks in. The screen is black the entire time, I do not see the display logo. I am not able to enter bios.
I am replacing the existing SSD M.2, which was a Samsung 970EVO+ NVMe. This laptop has 5 hd bays but I'm only using the bays that are bootable. In the case of using the WD SSD I am only using one of the bootable bays. The system will go to bios with the original SSD installed. Thanks.

My only idea is there is something wrong with the new SSD and it is overloading the power supply. Possibly, the power supply is designed to shut down in this case. Confirming that would mean trying another SSD. I looked at the SSD specs for both units and the power consumption is similar.