We bought a Samsung 2160p HD TV and also have an older Magnavox DVD/VHS Recorder the TV doesnt have the green Blue and Red cab

Sep 9, 2018
NEED HELP Connecting Older Magnavox DVD/VHS Recorder to a Samsung 2160p TV the TV only has HDMI ports and the DVD/VHS has the red green and blue ports do we need a converter and if so what converter for under $50.00 would be best?

Solution
My suggestion was to buy a new DVD player instead because they are now down to ~$30 which is about the same price as an adapter. As there have been no analog connections on players for five years now such as your YPbPr component ports, it is no surprise that most new TVs no longer have them either.

However if you are in need of using the VCR, then spending the same money on an adapter is the cheapest option. Something like this one can upscale to 1080p, which can be useful in case your TV does a terrible job at it. I do have to warn you that standard definition or even worse VHS looks absolutely awful on a fixed-pixel display such as your new 4k TV no matter how it's upscaled, if you are used to an analog display like a CRT...

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
My suggestion was to buy a new DVD player instead because they are now down to ~$30 which is about the same price as an adapter. As there have been no analog connections on players for five years now such as your YPbPr component ports, it is no surprise that most new TVs no longer have them either.

However if you are in need of using the VCR, then spending the same money on an adapter is the cheapest option. Something like this one can upscale to 1080p, which can be useful in case your TV does a terrible job at it. I do have to warn you that standard definition or even worse VHS looks absolutely awful on a fixed-pixel display such as your new 4k TV no matter how it's upscaled, if you are used to an analog display like a CRT.

The cheapest VCR and DVD recorder with HDMI appears to be $300. It's a DVD recorder as well so VHS tapes can be dubbed onto DVDs.

Solution