News We need to talk about Logitech's idea for a computer mouse with a subscription fee

Aug 1, 2024
Well this is a business desicion that is good for logitech, not the user. I understand why they need it though.
I have a Logitech MX Master 3s, this is a mouse for life, quite expensive but worth it, it is sturdy enough, super comfortable and best of all, is has an amazing software.
Right now they are charging you one time, for a mouse that can easily last more than 20 years, but you have to keep up to date that software that makes the hardware whole.
Software engineers aren't cheap, so how can you maintain the software if the user will buy the next piece of hardware in 20 years.
Now, do I like this idea of a subscription for a mouse? No, of course not, nobody likes to pay for something every month, specially something that is already mine and you won't take away.
Will I pay for that subscription? Yes, of course I will. I love my mouse, I love the software, it makes my work easier. If logitech doesn't have the money, they won't be able to keep improving it.

Aug 10, 2024
You agree it's a bad business decision for the user, yet you say you'd happily pay for the subscription.

You are the reason car companies are charging car owners heated seats subscriptions.

The fact your mouse needs a software update is nobody's else fault but Logitech's. It's more than fair that they are the one's providing (and paying for) it.

We, as customers, should stop condoning bad business practices, no matter how convenient they look like or how beautiful companies paint them.