We took some of the best flagship phones for an astrophotography face-off — here are the results

CAD Man

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
You mentioned only the Pixel has time-lapse, but the Galaxy has a 300x time-lapse for stars, with and without star trails.

Oct 18, 2022
This article is somewhat misleading. Most people would think this is about non-professional point and shoot camera use. The average user is not going to understand all the intricacies of using the professional mode on the Samsung phone. Therefore, I question placing the Samsung phone in first place when the Pixel can take the better astrography mode photo without messing with professional settings.

Reactions: jeremy8000

jeremy8000

Estimable
Oct 13, 2018
Your logic for selection of flagship devices is inconsistent. You should have chosen the Galaxy Fold 5 to represent Samsung for the same reason you selected to choose the Pixel Fold to represent Google.

If you choose to go that path because Samsung's foldable's cameras are inferior to that of it's more conventional flagship, you should have done the same for Google, as the same holds true there.

Aug 26, 2023
This article is somewhat misleading. Most people would think this is about non-professional point and shoot camera use. The average user is not going to understand all the intricacies of using the professional mode on the Samsung phone. Therefore, I question placing the Samsung phone in first place when the Pixel can take the better astrography mode photo without messing with professional settings.
My old Pixel 4a took better pictures than they got. TBH

jeffc73oc

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
So you didn't use the astrophotography mode in the Expert Raw app? I belive you can go all the way to 10 minutes. I did a 5 minute time lapse and got a great sky pic in joshua tree where it was pitch black and even had some light pollution

Reactions: nanomonster