Web browsers don't always open on first try

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I'm having this annoying problem where sometimes clicking on a web browser will just show the windows loading symbol for about 6 seconds and then it will go away and nothing will happen. Then when I click the web browser again, it will successfully start up. When I look in the task manager, there are two .exe's of the web browser running. So far this has happened with Chrome and Firefox.

I have done complete scans with Malware-bytes and Avira and they didn't find anything.

Any clue as to why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance

Solution
you have a corrupted version of java installed, maybe one on top of another that didn't like each other..
more than likely from a file sharing program.
if you can't perform a system restore to the day before this issue started happening,
then try un-installing java completely and re-installing.
if that doesn't work then a complete clean install of windows..
I have seen this happen with some programs, does a reboot fix this right away? Meaning right after a reboot, you can start them up in one click.
If you have the browser open, does Windows let you log off normally or does that hang also?

1st, get latest versions of the browsers.
2nd Check the add-ins, I have seen some add-ins hang at either startup of shutdown. If you downloaded new ones, disable them and see what happens.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
It can happen when I first start up the computer and attempt to open a browser, so a reboot does not fix it. I can also log off normally with a browser open.

I have tried disabling all of the add-ons and clearing the browser cache too, but it still happens :/ very weird

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
It happens at any time, it's not specifically when I first start up. I could have the computer on for a couple of hours and try to open a browser, and it'll happen.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
MOBO: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III MLC
RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
PSU: Kingwin 1000W ATX/BTX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified PSU

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
you have a corrupted version of java installed, maybe one on top of another that didn't like each other..
more than likely from a file sharing program.
if you can't perform a system restore to the day before this issue started happening,
then try un-installing java completely and re-installing.
if that doesn't work then a complete clean install of windows..

Solution

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Well I ended up having to resort to reinstalling Windows. That's fine though, as there were numerous other reasons I wanted to do it. Regardless, the issue is fixed, maybe it was a corrupt version of java, who knows.