Web Design Help and Advice

gizzard1987

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
So I've been out of the web design scene for a long time. I used to script basic pages on bluehost using basic html along side very basic java-script back around 2005 or so. I decided to get into visual basics programming and then I got my first real job and never had a chance to pursue much else. Now that I've got a more steady, stable job, I have a bit more free time to learn and teach myself.

So now for my questions.
Where would be a good starting point for my "future" in web design. I know a lot of sites rely heavily on java-script, is this something I need to learn? Should I look into re-learning html or should I move into something else?

When I taught myself before, I used to use programs like Arachnophilia that I could script things within, or import templates, and it would spit out code for me to decipher, preview and eventually publish into a basic site of my own. I'm sure there are tons of programs out now that are upgraded for current standards that allow scripting in a WordPad feel, then preview in an offline mode. I would like to look into my options for something like this, preferably free for starting off, but paid if it's not too terribly expensive.

Last but not least, where is a good place to start for free web hosting that doesn't cover half of my pages in ads. I understand free needs revenue someway, but I'd prefer minimal ads. I'm not really looking for huge amounts of space nor would I think I'd need much bandwidth right out of the gates. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Robbie

viewtyjoe

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
The quickest and easiest way to get back into web design is WordPress. It's pretty simple and used all over in the small business world. Beyond that, familiarize yourself with HTML5, learn CSS3, and start learning javascript frameworks like jquery, bootstrap, and others. Web is starting to get some serious programming bleed into it, but the design portion is still often kept separate.

I have had good experience with this website: http://www.ucoz.com/ for web hosting (no ads).
Javascript would be really good to learn (it has been growing in importance and is a highly valued skill).
are you looking for a future career in web design or just want to build a website?