Websites Found Guilty of Browser History Sniffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
And then the BIG HOLLYWOOD companies complain and prosicute poor old folk taking a look at movies via TORRENT sites!!!!
Who's fooling who here?
You rob from us and we rob from you!

G

I guess it's a good thing I use NoScript, have my history wiped when I close the browser, and restart the browser after using sites containing sensitive information. It is surprising to see Morningstar mentioned, though.

Regarding Firefox: Since when is patching a security hole a feature?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I'd laugh if I looked at a pile of Obama sites and I got an advertisement offering me something even better: crap-covered glitter.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Of all the stupid things a browser lets you do, this is ridiculous. Are we talking about tracking cookies, or can a website literally just request the browsing history from a crappy browser? I understand that embedded code, say from an advertising server, could access a cookie from numerous pages and build its own history, but the websites would have to include this code themselves. How does Site A access the fact that I've visited Site B if they don't share this same code/cookie?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Step 1 : Create a bogus website with items I want to buy at ridiculously low prices.
Step 2 : Visit the bogus site.
Step 3 : Visit one of the sites that sniff my history and match my prices.
Step 4 : ???
Step 5 : Profits.

bwilson420

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
All one needs to do is to inspect the color of the anchor text of a hidden hyperlink to determine if you've visited a page in the past.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
wait... people don't want companies to reprice thier items competitivly after you visit a competitor's site? i'm confused while how they are getting the data is bad and maybe they should be pricing to compete from the get go if i get a good product for less money then whats the problem

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"The latest versions of Apple's Safari and Google's Chrome now have built-in protection against history sniffing--Mozilla plans to add the feature in the next full release of Firefox. Internet Explorer has a toggle to enable private browsing mode (which prevents snooping), however it limits the way the browser tracks its own history for the user."

So are you saying that Mozilla has no feature to control cached files and not "record" history but every other major browser does??? Interesting...maybe word things a little differently...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
As computers and software in general becomes more advanced and capable of powerful things, these issues exactly highlight the need for either more education, creation of an ethical standard or the strengthening the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.