Question Weird behavior with gaming laptop GPU

Wite with problems

Estimable
Dec 25, 2016
I own a HP Pavilion Gaming laptop (Ryzen 5 4600H, 16GB dual channel DDR4 3200, GTX 1650Ti, 512GB SSD); Recently I've started playing Death Stranding.
So when I play the game, if I do something like run fast for a while, the GPU drops to a lower power state, limiting the TDP to 30w (from 50w), and reducing memory clock to 5000MHz (from 6000) and dropping around 300MHz on the core.
This happens only when I'm sprinting or moving fast in a vehicle through the world. Any idea why this happens? It drops my FPS from a smooth 55ish to 40ish and its very noticable.

This has not happened in any other game I've played (includes games that are even more GPU and CPU intensive like Cyberpunk, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead 2, etc)
GPU temps usually sit between 70 and 75C under normal gaming load and even for this game, thats where it stays (until it limits itself).

The temperature and power limit graphs say '1' in MSi afterburner logging when this happens, even though the GPU temperature settles in at around 63C which is well below its 87C hard throttle limit.
Could this be due to say, memory throttling? The GPU does not have any sensors that report memory junction temperatures so I can't be sure.
Any advice and/or help would be appreciated.

Note: If it could be memory throttling, why should it happen only in Death Stranding, when other games like Red Dead 2 are (I think) just as intensive?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 0
Michael@Jensen@WK Laptop Tech Support 0
Hamza ben ali Laptop Tech Support 6
R Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 2
Zekie112 Laptop Tech Support 4
Kavya Janaki Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 4