Weird Issue with Bookshelf Speakers

joebloby1

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
So, I recently set up my 2 bookshelf speakers with my amp after I'd used them on holiday. I have 2 sets of ports on the back of my speakers, both the red and black input type. The issue is whenever I plug my speaker wires in the top 2 ports any music I play is high pitched and crackly. Then, when I plug into the lower set of ports the sound is slightly muffled, low pitch, and almost underwater sounding.

On holiday the speakers were played quite loudly and I'm aware this could have damaged them. However, I can't see why I get high pitch sounding music with one set of ports and low pitch muffled music with the other? The lower pitch ports sound like they're almost right but there's just something slightly odd and underwater sounding about it?

I have little knowledge when it comes to speakers and was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what might be causing the issue.

My speakers are 'Tannoy Revolution r1' speakers and my amplifier is a ROTEL RA-930AX. I can try to provide any other info if needed.