Weird laptop connected to monitor issue.

Aug 4, 2018
Hello Forum.

Today I bought a mini displayport to displayport cable to connect my laptop with my monitor. Before I bought this cable, I used a hdmi cable to connect my laptop with my monitor, had no issues even at 120hz. I currently am Dual booting Ubuntu with Windows (Ubuntu for work and Windows for gaming). When I connected the cable to my monitor and boot up Ubuntu it had no issues, everything was normal. But then, I tried it with Windows and the monitor looked as if it was broken, flickering every like 20 seconds and some blue points all over the screen appeared. I tried fixing it changing to every mode possible, 60 hz, 100hz, 120hz, etc. Nothing worked, I would have thought it's problem of the cable or monitor, but i'm sure it's not, because ubuntu works just fine with any configuration.

Aug 4, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from alessandrochemello1234 : "Repost: Weird laptop connected to monitor issue."

Hello Forum.

Today I bought a mini displayport to displayport cable to connect my laptop with my monitor. Before I bought this cable, I used a hdmi cable to connect my laptop with my monitor, had no issues even at 120hz. I currently am Dual booting Ubuntu with Windows (Ubuntu for work and Windows for gaming). When I connected the cable to my monitor and boot up Ubuntu it had no issues, everything was normal. But then, I tried it with Windows and the monitor looked as if it was broken, flickering every like 20 seconds and some blue points all over the screen appeared. I tried fixing it changing to every mode possible, 60 hz, 100hz, 120hz, etc. Nothing worked, I would have thought it's problem of the cable or monitor, but i'm sure it's not, because ubuntu works just fine with any configuration.

Saga Lout

Olde English
It's unfortunate your thread didn't see any responses but I have to merge the two and bring it to the top of the list by making this reply.

Someone will have an answer but I have only a question. Have you tweaked Windows resolution settings?

Aug 4, 2018

Yes

Aug 4, 2018

This is a cable I bought online and is the only one I have. It would be weird if it was the cable because if that was the case, it wouldn't even work with Ubuntu.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Poxeh Laptop Tech Support 5
sm23 Laptop Tech Support 9
D Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 12