Weird Power Issues with ASUS N56V(B)

ChippyChip

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hey guys, this might be a long question, so stick with me!

I've had my ASUS N56V crash once, and I could recall a smell of something burning emanating from my laptop. I know CPU core temps were below 60 °C as I always kept a log of them. When I plugged it back in, it booted, but idle core temps were around 70 °C. Under load, they would be over 90 °C. I unfortunately didn't get to read the Volts my CPU was getting. I totally forgot about that. For the time I thought it was just the temperature sensor not working, as cool air was exiting the fan.

I left that laptop alone for a few months. I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU and GPU and temps dropped to 50 °C idle and 80 °C under load. I was playing a game when my laptop crashed. When I tried to turn it back on, it refused to do so. At that time my battery was out and my laptop was on AC. I also recalled hearing a faint buzzing sound when I put my ear on the chassis.

When I put my battery in my PC, it started up. Core temps dropped back down to 40 °C idle and 60 °C under load. A few minutes after boot, my PC's screen would flicker and eventually the PC would crash. It happened more quickly and the flickering was more violent when the CPU was under load. Sometimes my laptop won't get past the Windows 10 loading screen.

I sent my laptop to a repair center claiming to have repaired over 500 laptops. The repair costed me around $40. They refused to tell me the problem with my laptop, as the "guy" who repairs them just went on holiday. My laptop worked fine but temps were around 80 - 90 °C again.

After a few days, my PC crashed again, and the same burning smell could be smelled. The laptop wouldn't boot without both the battery and AC connected, the battery never charged (it charged fine before all this happened and after the repair) and the screen would flicker, even in the BIOS or in Linux. Even with the PC off, the chassis heats up.

I thought this might be the VRM of my laptop, or some caps blown, but on visual inspection, nothing was wrong.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Maybe it's too detailed? Moderators, feel free to delete parts of this post if it's too long.

Thanks,
Chippy

Solution
I don't mean it wasn't working at all, but that it isn't working correctly. :) I have seen them (well heard them) acting up just before the fans die.
Well their not telling you what they did sounds really fishy to me. Have you tried to get a hold of them again and ask again? They can't be on vacation forever.

It sounds to me like your fan was not working correctly and some other items are now possibly fried due to the over heating. If the person did any work, I would be really shocked. Sounds a lot like you paid for something that wasn't done, but that is just the way it sounds to me.

ChippyChip

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Well, I'm pretty sure my fan was working all the time. You could hear it a mile away (literally). I don't know about the guys and if he came back from vacation as I am on vacation myself... I would have known if my fan wasn't working, and I would've shut down my laptop.