Weird woofer noise

Mike_Proios

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
So what happened is... I bought 2 powered speakers the other day just to find out some days after the purchase that when those hard low end are kicking in there is a weird noise coming from both of my speakers woofers. Me being curious about it I wanted to check if there is something wrong with the woofer itself or if there is something in the cabinet , so what I did is I removed the woofer . I played some music with the woofer out of the cabinet but connected to the speaker amp , and still the same thing this weird noise coming from it ..... So I tried lifting it from the ground while the music was still playing to it , and out of nowhere the weird noise disappeared ..... The whole time the woofer was trying to suck air into it from the small hole in the back of it and the foam from inside the cabinet were in contact with the woofers small hole... And that were the weird sound came from.... So my question here is how to make it so the woofer doesn't contact the foam so the air can move freely ?

Solution
If the speakers were properly designed the foam in the cabinet was designed to impede the air motion in the cabinet to get deeper bass out of the small box. You are trying to get more bass out of them then they were designed for and that is why you got noises. You can remove the foam and it will play a little louder but not go as low in range.
If the speakers were properly designed the foam in the cabinet was designed to impede the air motion in the cabinet to get deeper bass out of the small box. You are trying to get more bass out of them then they were designed for and that is why you got noises. You can remove the foam and it will play a little louder but not go as low in range.

Solution