What’s the matter with Matter? After 2 years, this promising smart home protocol has stalled

Jul 14, 2024
Kinda frustrating to see clickbait headlines like this which imply, thereby setting casual reader expectations, that the standard has hit a roadblock, when in fact all the article (eventually) says is that it takes time to coordinate the efforts of a large, fragmented industry.

Reactions: EVRider
Jul 14, 2024
I've been very disappointed in Matter.

The first set of Matter plugs didn't seem to actually even be Matter, since the only way to pair them was via their app, which I was not going to do. I returned those.

I bought another set of Matter plugs earlier this year and ended up getting rid of them. They are the only plugs I've ever just tossed because they were basically worthless. Pairing was very difficult and did not work at all like it was supposed to. I could have gotten past that, but they would also drop off the network a few times a\each week and have to be unplugged and plugged back in to get them to work again.

Mind you, I've been doing smart home for decades, since X10 was the only option, original Smart things, Alexa, Google Home, etc. and run a large number of smart devices. If this had been my first smart home experience, I probably would have opted out of it altogether. I'm holding off on buying any more Matter devices for now.

Apr 28, 2024
I'll tell you what's wrong with Matter. It has the world's dumbest name. Try a Google search and you get all the wrong hits. Might as well call it Stuff or Thing or That!