Question What actually Is Apple TV?

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Newbie here. Just exactly what is Apple TV? Is it an app? Is it a piece of hardware like a set top box? Is it an actual television set made by Apple? I honestly don’t understand what the term refers to.

I’ve been told that I could stream opera videos from Medici.tv on “my Apple TV”. I have no idea how to do that on my non-smart LG HD TV. I think I could download the Medici.tv app to my iPad but I have no way to connect the iPad to my TV with cables. And besides, I’m not interested in watching opera on a 6”x9” iPad screen. Not to mention listening to it on speakers the size of my little fingernail! And it is physically impossible for me to connect my home wifi network to my TV. I simply will not undertake the structural physical work required to string an Ethernet cable from my modem in the bonus room over the garage to the TV in the downstairs living room.

Today I got a reminder email from Apple saying that because I bought a new iPhone 12 last December I’m eligible for one free year of “Apple TV”. If I took them up on that, what would I be getting? Just another streaming channel? A piece of hardware? Something else altogether?

See just how new I am to all of this?😱

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Ok. Thank you. I appreciate the education.

I’ve also talked with the “help” desk at Medici.tv. Between your guidance and theirs, incl their stmt that being able to connect to them via Roku is imminent, I’ll relax till I can do it all that way.

thx again.