What are general causes for a laptop to run hot when it has not done so in the past?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zonie8541

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite L655. Had it for years and have enjoyed trouble free operation. Recently it has started running very hot. I have cleaned it and do not see any obvious problems. Any ideas of possible cause(s) would be appreciated.

Solution
Awesome - it's always nice when the fix turns out easy:) Laptops tend to run on the hot-side because of the cooling limitations of their small size, so it's important to keep it clean. The cooler you can keep it, the better it will perform.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

If the OP's cpu is running at 97% at idle like they stated then is is without a doubt why it is running hot. And i cant explain to them in a forum post how to get back 95% of that cpu.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Then you shouldn't waste any more of your valuable time on this thread. You've informed @Zonie8541 (and the rest of us) that it's an impossible task and that he should seek professional help, so you can consider your duty done. I happen to have lots of time, so I'll stick around and help zonie8541 if he wants to take a whack at it. Cheers.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

Look i didn't come here to be insulted you do not have to be so rude. If you want to try to talk them threw it more power to you. Stop arguing with me and help. Cheers.

Zonie8541

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014

I bought a can of compressed air and blew it out. That made a very significant difference. I noticed an icon advising me my battery needed replacement so I replaced it. That completely resolved the problem. Thanks for your advice!

Zonie8541

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I bought a can of compressed air and blew it out. That made a very significant difference. I noticed an icon advising me my battery needed replacement so I replaced it. That completely resolved the problem. Thanks for your advice!

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Awesome - it's always nice when the fix turns out easy:) Laptops tend to run on the hot-side because of the cooling limitations of their small size, so it's important to keep it clean. The cooler you can keep it, the better it will perform.

Solution