What are important specifications for a web developer/designer laptop?

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
So, instead of asking laptop suggestions, I thought it might be easier to ask about specifications.

What are important specifications for a web developer/designer laptop?
It would be handy, if you could categorize the specifications in what you think is a must-have (primary) and an extra, but not necessary (secondary). Thanks in advance.

Solution
From my perspective, a good WiFi adapter is primary (I prefer the Intel 7260 dual band 2x2 with Bluetooth), at least 8GB of memory, and a reliable hard drive that can take a beating (hybrid or SSD preferred). Ideally I run on a laptop with 1080p resolution, but that is a personal preference (you can go higher if you want, I would not recommend a lower resolution).

Good battery life and low power consumption are ideal, but if you plan on gaming with that system, the battery life will suffer.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
From my perspective, a good WiFi adapter is primary (I prefer the Intel 7260 dual band 2x2 with Bluetooth), at least 8GB of memory, and a reliable hard drive that can take a beating (hybrid or SSD preferred). Ideally I run on a laptop with 1080p resolution, but that is a personal preference (you can go higher if you want, I would not recommend a lower resolution).

Good battery life and low power consumption are ideal, but if you plan on gaming with that system, the battery life will suffer.

Solution

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

Thank you for the quick reply. What I was wondering though, isn't 4GB of RAM already sufficient?

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

4GB is about the minimum if you are running a modern operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 8. As soon as you start loading large programs, especially ones like DreamWeaver or Adobe Photoshop, you will need more than that.

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

Thanks for the help. So far, I was thinking about getting the Lenovo Flex2 15, and I'll just buy a Wifi Adapter externally.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
The Wifi on the Lenovo Flex 2 is an Intel adapter, but a 3160 - so it won't be as fast or have as good reception as the 7260 that I mentioned before (but it will still be better than most USB adapters). If you get that model, I hope you will get one with 8GB of memory.

Personally, I think the HP Envy x360 is a nicer (and more expensive) model of convertible laptop. Hopefully there are stores nearby where you can try them out.

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

Yes, I would choose the 8GB one, and it doesn't necesarilly have to be a convertible one, I just came across this one, cause it matched the 8GB, 1080p, and the Hybrid Drive.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Ah, well that generally means a laptop that will cost $500 - $700 US dollars (sorry, I don't know what that converts to, since your laptop link was to a site in the Netherlands). Ideally you can just visit a few technology stores that carry laptops and find one that you like and has the features that you are looking for. Keep in mind that memory is an easy upgrade on most laptops, so many shops can install a memory upgrade for an extra fee.

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll use it to select a laptop.