What are passkeys? Everything you need to know about the death of passwords

Mar 20, 2023
I have a question about applying the information in this article. It seems there are three different walled gardens implementing passkeys (so far): Apple, Android, and Windows. I'm a Mac user but use an Android phone. What barriers will I encounter trying to use passkeys across these two environments?

Mar 30, 2023
Seems to me that websites using passkeys stand to gain valuable information about your mobile (and other linked) devices
I appreciate the need for secure access controls but I don't want big tech like Facebook, Google and Microsoft to know all the devices i use.
Aren't there any privacy issues here?!

Reactions: smontanaro
Apr 23, 2023
Passkeys are a new alternative to passwords that are much more secure. Here’s everything you need to know about passkeys and how to use them on your devices.

What are passkeys? Everything you need to know about the death of passwords : Read more
How would two people be able to log into the same website using passkeys? Right now both can use the same username and password to access the site. I am thinking my wife and I can log into our bank account using the same username and password because we both have and use the same master password to access our password manager. How would this work efficiently with passkeys? Thanks.

May 20, 2023
If my phone gets broken, stolen, or lost how can I access my accounts? Am I going to have to wait day's or weeks to get access? Apple can infamasouly take a week or more to fix a phone. If I use google pay or apple or something like that how will I be able to pay for a new phone or phone repair if I have to have the phone working to pay? Will companies even be willing to work on or fix a phone if I can't prove I'm me? If I need a passkey to access my bank I wouldn't be able to pay for anything, nor would I be able to prove i'm me to stop someone who has my phone from stealing everything and locking me out of every email/media/finical account I have. Is there anyway to bypass passkeys to keep access if the authenticator is lost or stolen? Is there any way to instantly invalidate an authenticator and stop its use if lost/stolen? If someone is able to clone a phone or hack the system, do they now have access to every account I have? Courts have held you can't be forced to give up passwords, but you can be forced to unlock devices using fingerprints for facial recognition. Where do passkeys fall? If a court forces you to unlock your phone could some unscrupulous person in the court system delete you entire digital identity? What if your phone/account gets seized/locked for the length of an investigation (weeks months years), you couldn't authenticate to anthying, you wouldn't be able to have access ot your finances, pay rent, you couldn't even pay bail or hire a laywer if locked out. This seems very very dangerous. Putting all eggs in one basket so to speak. There seems to be far too many ways this can go horribly wrong if there are not easily accessible ways around it, but if there are it completely defeats the purpose of passkeys.