What are the perfect headphones for gaming?

Gaming Freak

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hello all, I am looking for the PERFECT headphones (if there is such a thing). I am really looking for a pair of over-the-ear headphones that have it all. The main points that I am looking for are sound quality, they need to be very comfortable, some pretty decent bass, surround sound, style, and sound cancellation. They really don't have to be spesificlly for gaming but that is what I am going to be using them for. Also, they need to be comfortable with glasses. Price really isn't an issue. If there are a pair out there that have those things I would love to hear about them. Thanks for the help!

Solution
price is not an issue? you do realize some headphones can cost $1000+ right? we need a general idea of what you are willing to spend in total if we are to narrow choices down. come up with some rough figures.

what equipment do you have currently? list any soundcards or amps that you want to use with them. if not, are you open to using one?

do they need to be portable? if they need amping do you mind using a portable amp?

you really do not want active noise cancellation as it distorts sound. i'd recommend passive (from closed cans) which muffles outside noise to some degree if you want the best sound quality. your choice but this is my recommendation. do realize that closed cans will cut back on soundstage (not sure if this point is...
price is not an issue? you do realize some headphones can cost $1000+ right? we need a general idea of what you are willing to spend in total if we are to narrow choices down. come up with some rough figures.

what equipment do you have currently? list any soundcards or amps that you want to use with them. if not, are you open to using one?

do they need to be portable? if they need amping do you mind using a portable amp?

you really do not want active noise cancellation as it distorts sound. i'd recommend passive (from closed cans) which muffles outside noise to some degree if you want the best sound quality. your choice but this is my recommendation. do realize that closed cans will cut back on soundstage (not sure if this point is up for debate or not). generally open cans are what are suggested for gaming (but do not have sound isolation and leak sound in/out)

no headphones are surround sound capable. all are stereo. if you want surround sound it will need to be virtual. most surround sound headsets are virtual anyways (with only a few models which have multiple drivers so can be considered "true" surround which really isnt even the same as speaker surround sound). virtual can be accomplished using a soundcard with this feature built in (some onboard has it as well).

are you looking for a neutral sound profile (equal treble-mids-bass) or the more fun sounding v-shaped profile (more treble and bass than mids)?

----

keeping prices to a moderate level.... (under $300-400) you may be interested in the beyerdynamic dt770-pro 80 (more bass) or 250 approx $180 (more quality) paired up with an amp such as the schiit magni approx $120 with a soundcard capable of virtual surround AND a line-out jack to use with your amp approx $80 ($380 total).

now, if you went with the 80ohm version of the dt770-pro you may be able to just use a soundcard like the creative z $80 and skip an amp entirely. you might not get 100% out of the cans but you will get enough to make them worthwhile. this would save you $120 and bring your total down to approx $260.

the "premium" dt770 is prettier but also costs approx $350 for almost no improvements other than a slightly less bassy and more neutral sound and improved aesthetics (not worthwhile). so, while not great looking the dt770 pro is a real performer.

.....now there are other options, plenty of them in fact but we need to get some more info from you to better recommend something.

Solution