What are you not telling us about the Xbox series X

jayrichardm

BANNED
May 1, 2021
I check Amazon availability several times a day. While there are many Xbox series S units available from second party sellers, the only Xbox series X consoles that have been available have been Used machines.

I suspect that Microsoft found some engineering problems with the Series X and had to make some changes, which is why we haven't been seeing any new units on the market.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Gaming consoles, recent CPUs and GPUs, have all been impacted by global supply shortages due to COVID-19's impacts on production and shipping. There are even global "chip" shortages impacting all sorts of industries, like automobiles.

Many scarfed up the previously available stock of items and entered into the scalper market. Byproduct of supply and demand, and not in a good way.

jayrichardm

BANNED
May 1, 2021
Gaming consoles, recent CPUs and GPUs, have all been impacted by global supply shortages due to COVID-19's impacts on production and shipping. There are even global "chip" shortages impacting all sorts of industries, like automobiles.

Many scarfed up the previously available stock of items and entered into the scalper market. Byproduct of supply and demand, and not in a good way.

Well Ya. That's a possibility. That would also affect the series S in the same way as the series X and it hasn't. Besides most of the chips in the two boxes are proprietary chips made exclusively for those two consoles and these chips aren't being bought and sold on an open market. So I don't know that a general explanation like yours would cover it. Thanks for your response though.

Those machines were announced six month ago and yet there is no hint of when this shortage is going to end. I have to admit I'm getting a little impatient.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Illustrious
Well Ya. That's a possibility. That would also affect the series S in the same way as the series X and it hasn't. Besides most of the chips in the two boxes are proprietary chips made exclusively for those two consoles and these chips aren't being bought and sold on an open market. So I don't know that a general explanation like yours would cover it. Thanks for your response though.

Those machines were announced six month ago and yet there is no hint of when this shortage is going to end. I have to admit I'm getting a little impatient.
Overall production is down.
Proprietary chip or otherwise.

And the main brain chip in these devices is not the only chip in there.
If you only have 95% of the parts for an operational xbox, that is the same as not having one at all.

Specifically for the X (and PS5)...

jayrichardm

BANNED
May 1, 2021
This was a very good response. The article you linked to covered it all. I also wanted to know about what the article called the "scalper racket", how college kids are able to get their hands on consoles and turn around and sell them at a premium. Thanks much for your response.

BTW, I'm also USAF retired. I flew C141s in Vietnam.

Reactions: USAFRet

jayrichardm

BANNED
May 1, 2021

I've been watching hundreds of these things move on EBay. I can't believe that there are so many people willing to pay twice Microsoft's asking price. Right now there are around 1500 advertised. I no longer think it is a supply problem. The scalper racket is the real problem. While I understand it is being investigated, it is not illegal and probably never will be. I'm just hoping to get one from Amazon before I die, (LOL) and at 75 that is a real possibility.

Last edited: