What can I expect / what needs to be done to upgrade CPU and laptop screen?

Turbo50

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hey ho! Now the question I got is if desktop and laptop parts is like the RAM are the same. (replace and your done I mean) And about the CPU. Yes this laptop you can change CPU on...

I'm not a computer noob. But not experienced enuf to know. I know that GPU's and part using drivers are hugging fun to replace. Uninstall drivers. Deactivate the device, Install new device. Install drivers. Hope to god that it works. And that the drivers was fully removed...

But CPU and laptop screens? No clue... Allways have stuck the CPU in and never removed one from my gaming PC's. If anything stops working it often ends up being better to buy all new. Dam thunder.. Is "BIOS" and "OS" ok with me replacing the CPU like a ram stick?? Like wtf? How?

And the laptop screen. Is it ok to replace a 1280 by 800 screan with a 1440 by 900? It's not even the same kind of screan! Is the laptop OK with me chaning that part of it? And is the connectors the same on all versions of that laptop??? I have no clue due to being a desktop gamer.

Now I have done my crying about not knowing stuff. But now I can say what I know.
"stop reading if you don't need the hole story"

I got 2 Dell Latitude E6410's infront of me. And due to it being a company that paid for the tec inside of the units, the specs are half good on them. But combined they are 2 half good pc into one bad ass free old gaming / rendering laptop. Lucky me for having a grate boss!

1's laptop got that nice 1440 screen. And the I5 560m duo core at 2,66Ghz (3,1Ghz Turbo)
2's laptop got a dedicated gpu stuck to the motherboard. And a I5 520m duo core at 2.4Ghz.
Some 8GB of Kingstone RAM and a fan cooler under the laptop and bang! Nivida GPU and Intel CPU rendering at night! (even if slow I belive it's a amacing way to render stuff for fun!)

The 2'nd laptop got the GPU. And I can't move the GPU due to it being more or less part of the motherboard. Now the CPU = rip out and replace? I'm wrong? The cooler ontop of the CPU is easy enuf to work with. 4screws and remove the fan unit. Easy enuf after installing huge coolers on dekstop PC's,,

And the laptop screan I need some real Tech support. The frames are the same size. But is that = replace the screan unit? done this before but never upgrading. Only replacing a broken one with the same kind of screen. :c And the frames are the same size but one got a camera built... Like upgrading laptops are dum.. Laptops are dum. I know that mutch.. can I get that 1440 sceen to fit and work? Like the 1280 one needs 3min to warm up... Yea. Still trying to save up money to buy hose and stuff. And it's a Dell but hell of a nice laptop to work with it's parts. Easy and like a desktop more or less.

Thanks allot for the help! And for reading all this!

Morad Tamer

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Theoritically they would work
But let's get back to the reality
First of all removing a CPU from a laptop is not as atraight forward as a desktop CPU
Second I don't think that the GPU in that 8 year old laptop would be able to even start windows with the 1440p screen and if the GPU was able to run everything good the CPU would bottleneck

PS : Your laptops' CPUs' are from the intel "Previous Generations" before even the second Gen CPUs

Turbo50

Commendable
May 20, 2016

I know it's a slow laptop. And I know it's "Previous generations" yes I know! But saying that the 1440p screen can't work with that GPU is wrong! It was sold with that screen and GPU. The laptop I'm taking the screen from are worse. (like it's as low as you can get) The Laptops was sold with Windows 7 installd on. I know it works at 1280p atleast. So I'm only afraid that the laptops connectors for the screens are not made to work with one and a outher..

Running games at lower res is a must. But why I like a bigger screan is due to the kind of screan I get. From sleep the 1280p have to waint 1-2min before the screen is displaying normal. Hard to expain how half the screan is darker in a stripe line kind of way..... Yea...

Yes the laptop CPU is 8years old. But I'm rendering for fun! Not like it's my job or anything! I'm going to trottle the CPU and have a coolingpad under the laptop and let it render stuff I have made on my desktop. Ok? That's it. The program I use is CPU heavy and not that GPU hungry.

The GPU on the laptop is trash by todays standards. 512mb Vram with 16 CUDA cores.. LoL ;O
Atleast Nividia and not AMD or Intel. Playing NFS Most Wanted 2005 on the laptop at 97% ish max settings 30fps. Runs games better vs my Lenovo laptop with Intel HD 3000 ;9

Before I destroy the laptop screens: Can anyone confirm that I'm not destroying the stuff?
The Dell CPU looks like a easy swap from this video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXiaN_LNfdI

I'm thankful for any help that can make this thing happen! ;9 Can't stand the gaming PC fans running next to me all night...

PS: Not long ago I was playing Fallout 4 on a secund gen I5 XD (3.4Ghz quad core) And that game made the CPU fan rev up. Was sceard that it broke. But it was only trying to keep it at the normal 50-60c ;)

Turbo50

Commendable
May 20, 2016
I have changed the parts around and it works! But it was not easy to make Windows 7 work with the new CPU. It took a long nice 20min of rebooting and hugging around until the laptop hang for a few secunds and after that there was no problems. (checkt BIOS first and it was ok there)