What comcast digital adapter can I buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rpritchie

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
As many of you know late last year Comcast went all digital. I kept the 15-30 Comcast Basic Cable channels, (local broadcast TV stations, plus local government, education and public access channels) but I lost all Expanded Basic channels, like Disney, CNN, Lifetime and 30 to 50 others.

My question is, is there a cable box I can buy, say on ebay, that will get me these channels again?

Thanks.

jssbbb

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Well that does not work if you have a large family and more than 3 TV's and is this offer for new customers only or for your upgrade? How much will it be after ther "promotional period"; they used to run promo's for a year now there all 90 days or six months!

jssbbb

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

So are you paying for a cc subscription? or using converter box hooked to antenna?

melinda168

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

can i buy? and will comcast activate a cable box? a digital cable box with on demand, not those free dta's ? I can buy a cable modem...but can i buy a cable box in the same manner? thank u

karthal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I only pay for internet, not cable or phone. After the switch I was pissed when my "free channels" vanished. But after rescanning available channels, my TV picked up a ton of new channels I didn't have before. I actually got a wider selection via comcast, with just the built in digital tuner in my TV.

Basically from 62.2 to 106.1, with a few coming before 62, I am getting about 25 unique channels(several repeat with no quality difference)

I am now getting free channels I didn't get before the switch, and some channels I couldn't pick up locally due to bad signals. So for me the comcast change was not all bad. It just took me playing around for the last few hours to realize they were there.

davethecaveman

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

davethecaveman

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

I was tired of getting screwed, so I ditched Comcast and ATT went to Best Buy and bought me a $100 outdoor HD antenna. Hooked up my Sony HD tv and we get 26 FREE stations plus netflix. Miss ESPN but what the heck. My CLEAR wireless internet works real well. I can live with this.