Question What do I need to use a monitor and keyboard with my laptop

Dec 1, 2022
I'm not new to computers but am definitely a use as opposed to a whiz bang. When I was employed I had a laptop with a docking station, and now, 10 years later, I would like to be able to use a large monitor with my laptop. I got a VGA monitor (compatible with my VAIO AFAIK) but do not know how to get it set up so that I use a separate key board, or what else to buy. Everything has to be wired.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Dec 1, 2022
Why not use the wired mouse I have? I only read email and go on forums. I don't even know what "gaming" IS. I also do not know what "plug and play" IS. I'm not "playing" anything. I use a microsoft wired mini-mouse and it works just fine for me; why would I need a different mouse, especially one that looks like it is designed for use in a space station?
That also looks like a "gaming" keyboard, and as I said, I don't even know what "gaming" IS. Why would I need that?
I just want to set the laptop off to the side, shut (which I actually do already know how to do) and use the keyboard, existing mouse, and the VGA monitor. What you recommended seems oriented towards an entirely different use of a computer than what I do.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Why not use the wired mouse I have?
well if you already have one then go ahead and use it.

I also do not know what "plug and play

it's a phrase, it means you can plug in a device and don't need to take extra steps to make it work.

Why would I need that?

because it's comfortable and will last forever, and is significantly easier to clean than a normal keyboard

What you recommended seems oriented towards an entirely different use of a computer than what I do.

while the products I suggested are oriented towards gamers you don't need to use them for gaming. Mechanical keyboards use a different type of key that is significantly more pleasant to type on and mini-mice will end up giving you carpal tunnel so it's better and healthier in the long run to use a mouse that's bigger and won't cramp your hand as much.

Dec 1, 2022
I find the mini-mouse quite a bit more comfortable than a regular-sized mouse. I wear a child's size large glove. Even better I like the travel mice that are quite a bit smaller, but they break easily.
So how do I set this up physically? The mouse stays plugged into the shut laptop, I run the VGA cable from the laptop to the monitor, and where do I plug in the keyboard? When I had this setup at work, I had to mount the closed laptop in what was called a docking station. Why don't I need that now?

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I find the mini-mouse quite a bit more comfortable than a regular-sized mouse. I wear a child's size large glove.

Well t's entirely up to you. My suggestions are simply suggestions.

and where do I plug in the keyboard?

You can just plug it directly into the laptop's USB ports.

I had to mount the closed laptop in what was called a docking station. Why don't I need that now?

Yeah, my personal laptop has its own dock, too. All the dock does is extend the connectivity (USB/monitor/etc).

If you would like a laptop that supports a dock, I have a few suggestions.

Dec 13, 2022
I'm confused exactly what your question here is. It sounds like your device only has the one USB port. You can always use a USB 3-in 1 splitter, but keep in mind, your keyboard and mouse may not work well together if it is an older computer, because unless it's above USB 1.0, it will have an extremely slow data transfer rate.

But with that being said, you already stated you aren't doing anything intensive like gaming, so, it'd probably work just fine.

I hope this answer was helpful

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator: