Solved! What does it mean when your computer wont boot windows from cd or hard drive?

Headache360

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hello,
I don't understand why my computer wont boot windows because my HDD is fine, it boots up on other computers but this computer wont even boot the windows cd(well its a windows flash drive, because my Dell Latitude D410 has no cd-rom),but my flash drive boots on other computers as well...Is it a motherboard issue?

Solution
Your computer may not be set to boot off the peripherals you're trying to get it to boot from. Go to your BIOS and look for 'Boot priority'. You should have to option to boot from several devices. Set your HDD to top priority, or your flash drive(if it's available) and try that.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Your computer may not be set to boot off the peripherals you're trying to get it to boot from. Go to your BIOS and look for 'Boot priority'. You should have to option to boot from several devices. Set your HDD to top priority, or your flash drive(if it's available) and try that.

Solution

kimsukie

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Had same issue. You'll have to use an old windows xp or vista disk, f12 your computer while first onscreen is still showing, change boot order to where ever the disk is and install the old software, then install the software os you want. This worked for me. If F12 doesn't work go into your bios before startup and enable F12. I don't understand why or how but some type of boot corruption occures that is corrected by the old windows operating boot disk.