Solved! What else works seamlessly with the hue ecosystem

Oct 18, 2020
HI Folks:

Ive got several Hue Lights that I control with my amazon alexa echo dot. I'll be adding the bridge shortly -- There are some things that the hue ecosystem doesnt seem to have. A 200 watt equivalent bulb for a floor lamp. A plug in dimmable switch for a lamp that cannnot accept LED bulbs, and a ceiling fan control module -- are there other options that will work with the hue system? -- ive heard the name ZigBee bandied about -- do they work?

Thanks\
TIM

Solution
I have not tried the Merkury bulbs so I am not sure why you had problems with them. Did you install their skill within the alexa app?

anyway, I used GE C-connect and cree bulbs. both were easy to set up using wink hub but when wink started their subscription fees, I moved everything over to the hue, except the cree bulbs.

The Cree bulbs is supposed to work with the hue hub but never could get them to work. GE C-connect was as easy as the hue bulbs. But if you already have the echo hub, both should be easy to setup on it.

My suggestion is to find bulbs that don't require hubs. It is not like it was when I first started when you need hubs for everything. It will be a learning process. Most should be easy to...

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
not sure what you are asking. are you wanting to know what other brands work with the hue bridge or will work alongside of hue?

You can go to amazon, search there for works with alexa and see all the products they sell that works with alexa. Also see the following for everything that is compatible with the hue.

Hue uses zigbee lighting protocol.

Reactions: taholmes160
Oct 18, 2020
Ideally what other brands / equipment works with the hue bridge, and sets up as easy as the hue products do

secondarially things that will work along side it -- I bought a couple of Merkury (sp?) bulbs at walmart the other day and could not set them up AT ALL -- thanks for the references, I'll check it out
tim

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
I have not tried the Merkury bulbs so I am not sure why you had problems with them. Did you install their skill within the alexa app?

anyway, I used GE C-connect and cree bulbs. both were easy to set up using wink hub but when wink started their subscription fees, I moved everything over to the hue, except the cree bulbs.

The Cree bulbs is supposed to work with the hue hub but never could get them to work. GE C-connect was as easy as the hue bulbs. But if you already have the echo hub, both should be easy to setup on it.

My suggestion is to find bulbs that don't require hubs. It is not like it was when I first started when you need hubs for everything. It will be a learning process. Most should be easy to install but there can be hiccups especially if your wifi cannot handle all the connections.

Also stay with well known brands. I was burned by tpc connected when they released their smartbulbs years ago and then decided not to support them after a couple of years. Cost me hundreds of dollars. Lowes had their own Iris bulbs then quit supporting them. and there are others.

One other source can help is on Cnet. They have a whole section on smarthome products.

Solution