Solved! What gadget to boost wifi signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lndianajonez

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Hi,

I live in a marina and pick up the marina wifi however the signal at best is medium to weak.

The signal is fine for browsing the internet but not the best for streaming.

I want to know what I can buy that I can place outside or inside on a wall which will enhance/boost the signal.

I do not have broadband or the option to install it, so I rely purely on wifi.

I am also thinking of getting a smart TV Amazon Prime or Now TV stick so would like it to work with them.

As I said streaming to my laptop is annoying sometimes, but streaming to my TV would be even worse without a gadget to boost the wifi signal.

So to recap ... I do not have my own wifi, I pick up a signal from the marina but this signal is weak.
I need a gadget to boost the marina's signal.

Any suggests.

MANY THANKS,
INDY

Solution

If you start by googling "RV WIFI kits" you will see pages like this --...

kanewolf

Judicious
There are two ways to do this. You can use a WIFI router in your boat and put an antenna, connected via coax, on the outside. Or you can put a wireless bridge device outside and bring the network inside on an ethernet cable. With the ethernet cable approach you would still need a WIFI access point to provide local WIFI.

lndianajonez

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Thanks Kanewolf,

Unfortunately I have no real understanding of the two options you mentioned.

How does a wifi router work, could you direct me to a website that shows a diagram.

Do I need a modem or Ethernet connection to use the WIFI Router to watch streamed content on my TV.

I'm looking for something that you plug into a mains electrical 3-pin plug which then picks up the weak wifi signal from the marina, boost it, and then allows the Now TV stick (In the back of the TV) to wirelessly pick up that boosted wifi signal.

I really do not know much about this so please be patient we me if I am talking rubbish.

Ta,
Indy

kanewolf

Judicious

If you start by googling "RV WIFI kits" you will see pages like this -- https://www.rvweb.net/best-wifi-booster-for-rv-reviewed/ The first item listed the "Alfa WiFi Camp 2" is an example of the what I am talking about. It has a permanent outdoor piece (the white tubes), a cable and an indoor piece that provides a local WIFI source.
The number 11 item the "Winegard WF-3000" is an example of a device that brings the network in via ethernet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.