What games can I play on new laptop (GTX 960M) at 1080p / 60 fps / medium settings? (specs listed inside)

LogicLiker

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Hi gang, I recently purchased that new Dell Inspiron 7000.

Core specs: i5-6300HQ Quad Core, 8GB DDR3L, 256GB SSD, GTX 960M 4GB, 1080p IPS display.

As a desktop gamer, I've gotten spoiled with crossfire r9 390 8gb .. and pretty much max everything at 1080p with 144 frames per second. Because of this, I now can't do any gaming at less than 60 FPS without it feeling super choppy.

I've missed a lot of good games from the past 10 years or so. So even if the only games I can get 1080p/60fps/medium settings on are from 2005 for instance, I'd be ok with that.

My question to the community is simple: what generation of games/what year do I need to go back to, in order to get 1080p/60fps on this GTX 960M laptop?

cleanshot911

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
With an i5 processor and a gtx 960M you could probably play even the newest releases at 1080p 60fps like the Witcher 3 if you're willing to play on low to medium settings (just make sure you turn off all Nvidia Gameworks features, like Hairworks). Here's a review with gaming benchmarks for reference. Don't worry that's still a fine gaming laptop: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-960M-Review.137893.0.html

stokieben

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hi Logic, as cleanshot says new releases with AAA graphics should be playable 1080p 60fps medium - low. I myself with a slightly stronger GPU can play older games from a few years ago such as: fallout NV / 3, Skyrim, even dishonored on higher settings. SW:KOTR 1-2, Sleeping dogs, the entire batman series or even metro are games you can play with decent settings and are very enjoyable if you missed them.

Kelley_1

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
I have this exact laptop as well! Have had it for about a month now. I've played a number of games on maxed out settings, including but not limited to, Battlefield 4, Star Wars Battlefront, GTA 5, Fallout 4. This laptops gaming capabilities are fantastic! Especially for $799! It being a 4GB variant helps immensely I'm sure. Also, on a side note, with one screw this laptop can be opened, and has a slot for M.2 SATA!!!! meaning the new Samsung 950 Pro with 2100mbps read speeds can be put in this bad boy.

You should be able to play today's games at low to medium settings. Just remember though that this laptop's main purpose is not gaming so I don't know how strong the cooling is in dells. I say this as I have a weaker gpu than you but I played all the games that it was designed to handle but as it wasn't designed for games, the laptop now overheats after 2 years. But then again I used my laptop as if it was a tank by throwing everything I could to take advantage of my gpu (gt 650m).

Don't make the same mistake as I did.