Solved! What happens when I connect a Full HD set top box to a 720p TV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curoius

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
Hi,

I am using this TV http://

This is a "HD Ready TV" aka 720p.

My local cable operator has given me a Full HD set top box.

When I switch on the TV with the STB connected it says "HDMI 1080i"

I am a bit confused.

What resolution am I getting ?

What happens when I connect a Full HD set top box to a 720p TV ?

Solution
To my knowledge cable content doesn't support 1080p. Usually it supports 720p or 1080i.
When you connect the box to the TV with HDMI the box detects what the TV can handle and selects a compatible resolution. That TV being 1366x768 the box sets itself to 1080i. You might get a better picture for content with fast motion if you manually set the box to the above or 720p.
FYI "HD Ready" refers to the fact that while the TV is HD it doesn't have an ATSC digital tuner. That TV doesn't seem to have any tuner built in so is a monitor rather than a TV.
To my knowledge cable content doesn't support 1080p. Usually it supports 720p or 1080i.
When you connect the box to the TV with HDMI the box detects what the TV can handle and selects a compatible resolution. That TV being 1366x768 the box sets itself to 1080i. You might get a better picture for content with fast motion if you manually set the box to the above or 720p.
FYI "HD Ready" refers to the fact that while the TV is HD it doesn't have an ATSC digital tuner. That TV doesn't seem to have any tuner built in so is a monitor rather than a TV.

Solution

curoius

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

No but the TV has a built in tuner but I never use it.

The box is capable of 1080 but will self-adjust to a lower resolution TV. The 2 boxes will "negotiate" to a common resolution both can handle, without your intervention. Isn't that great?

curoius

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

That's good news. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.