What is a good laptop cushion/pad/stand so my thighs stay cool?

hyde_NYC

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Looking for something that has cooling gel or good heat dissipation so I don't sweat too much. Mine is OK, I am not getting the heat from laptop transferred to my lap, but instead the laptop pad is making it too hot.

Solution

I found that setting the power profile to Power Saver helps a lot, the laptop cools down immediately to a more manageable temperature. So in those super hot days, I will set it to a power saver mode, I wish the laptop (T450s) did that automatically whenever it felt too hot by internal sensors. It's not a replacement for a mat/pad but it helps. In the meantime, I'll use the lego plate. I was thinking something like egg carton, it would be perfect.
I don't know about your part of the world but here in England, they sell a tray mounted on a bean bag so it levels itself on your lap. You are six inches below the laptop and don't feel a thing.

The top of the tray is a plastic layer but that can crack up after a year of holding a hot laptop. They usually sell in what we call a pound (£-GBP) shop so if you still a five and dime you might find one in that kind of shop.

hyde_NYC

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Thank you for the reply, I actually have the exact same thing, it's a beanbag with a plastic tray on top, it's extremely comfortable in terms of mounting and placing it in a position where it's perfect viewing angle, but it gets very hot down there. When I take it off my lap, I find it that my legs are sweaty. This is mainly because the overall temperature here in NY is very hot (we've been having 100F/37-38C) weather for a while. Even when it's not too hot, this table/rest gets really hot.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20278247/

I was hoping tehre could be something like cooling gel or other material, or maybe I have to look at one of those with USB fans built in, I guess it would be louder, but it cooler.

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
LOL, hey man, come down to Oklahoma. Mix 100+ temps with humidity and experience the human definition of miserable.

I visited DC and NYC a couple years ago. I was looking forward to it because your (typical) cool temps compared to here. Those years both places set record HEAT temps. Ugh. Had to relocate hotels in DC because they didn't have true a/c units and their glorified water coolers couldn't keep up with the heat. The whole city was beside itself.

Anyhow, no wise words on what to use. I use a pillow. It gets hot too.

hyde_NYC

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Totally hear you but for us 100 is scorching, my window A/C won't stop running and I got 3 of them one for each room, it's crazy, Luckily these last few days were not as bad, but now I just got my laptop on my lap and it's already too hot for me to keep it there. I don't know it feels so hot because my T450s does not feel that hot to touch, but it seems like my legs are getting hotter than they are supposed to.

Pillow is OK too but it leaves me dripping sweaty too. I just don't like the feeling. I just bought a dart board for my son the big flat box with air in it (i keep the dartboard in it) is perfect, although very inconvenient and bulky, it seems do an amazing job.

I am considering going to Home Depot and getting a sturdy plywood or one of those rigid foam type of insulation boards and cutting it to size. I don't mind spending $20-$30 or even $50 on an actual functional laptop stand but I just can't seem to find one.

79392e817a193c3e7cc03cb9df130675.png

hyde_NYC

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

If I can stay in that room, I guess laptop should be fine, it's not like 100F or direct sunlight.
Oh, I found another cool tool:
My son's large lego duplo baseplate works great!
0000294_2304-duplo-baseplate.jpeg

hyde_NYC

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I found that setting the power profile to Power Saver helps a lot, the laptop cools down immediately to a more manageable temperature. So in those super hot days, I will set it to a power saver mode, I wish the laptop (T450s) did that automatically whenever it felt too hot by internal sensors. It's not a replacement for a mat/pad but it helps. In the meantime, I'll use the lego plate. I was thinking something like egg carton, it would be perfect.

Solution