What is a laptop similar to the old IBM ThinkPads?

BiggerBluer

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
I am looking for a laptop that can take a beating. I don't care what it looks like. I don't care if it weights 30 lbs. I would prefer to be able to access parts to be able to change them out later. I would also prefer no touch screen. Are the current thinkpads still decent? What are my options looking like?

Thank you

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
I agree look at the toughbooks. They are a bit hard to find, somewhat expensive and the specs tend not to be the greatest but they are nigh indestructible as well as fully functional. They even come in 2 in 1 versions now.

http://

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
In terms of ruggedness it's hard to find a match for old-school thinkpads. Generally business-class models have a greater focus on material construction (Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Latitude as opposed to Inspiron, HP Elitebook or Probook). There is the Panasonic Toughbook which is most specifically made to take a beating (which I don't recall having ever seen firsthand).

delaro

Distinguished
Panasonic Toughbook and the Dell Latitude 14 Rugged are about the only two I can think off that fit that description, Nothing else will take a beating like these. ThinkPads now are streamlined down to look like every other Laptop since Lenovo purchased IBM PC division.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shashume Laptop General Discussion 1
astroabby21 Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 10
T Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 3
M Laptop General Discussion 2
I Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 5