What is a multi-gig router and do you need one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2023
You write, "With that 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port, you can plug it into a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem to set up a home network with gigabit plus speeds " which may be misleading. If you buy a modem/router combination, contrary to various vendors, the modem cannot be disabled. It is great that these speeds are offered, but, I have yet to find a router that as an outgoing ethernet port that is 2 or 5 Gb. There are many that talk of aggregation of ethernet ports; all I can say is good luck. I have a need to be able to run 2 or 5 Gb over ethernet; but have not been able to find a suitable router for my Ziply Fibre. Ziply has been awesome! The other thing that is problematic unless the wireless modem on a pc or laptop can handle higher speeds, a person will be trapped with what they already have. l hope your comment and maybe you'll have a suggestion. I am partial to Netgear. I currently have a 2 Gb service (fibre optic) ONT but am still relegated to using a 1 Gb router. People need to do their homework before making purchases. I have listened to many complain they get the higher plans but have not been able to get them to work; usually because either their ethernet network and its switches can't handle anything beyond 1 Gb or because the end use machine model cannot handle incoming traffic beyond a certain speed. I am looking for ethernet synchronous of 2 Gb min with 5 Gb option. Thank you for a very timely article.

Status
Not open for further replies.