What is a smartwatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
A smartwatch is simply a computer strapped on your wrist. Just like a smartphone is a computer you carry in your pocket.

With that said, I'd rather wait until they produce smartwatches designed to eliminate the need for a smartphone.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
No mention of the Omate TrueSmart? Disappointing... especially since it's one of few watches right now which is capable of working WITHOUT needing a smartphone.

Their Kickstarter campaign has less than 51 hours remaining! If you want a "full featured" smartwatch for less than the Galaxy Gear and Sony Smartwatch, now would be the time.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm still not sold on the whole 'smartwatch' idea. Email and text message notifications aren't really worth having to wear a watch. Until it gives some useful functionality that I can't get on my smartphone I just don't see the reason. As a fashion statement, or for those that receive a large number of text/email in a day, I can see some utility. But for the vast majority of people it just doesn't make sense, especially with Google Glass just around the corner.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Another reason the Microsoft SPOT watch failed: it was as big as a Fred Flinstone sundial. Because of that, only some men wanted to buy it and no women. Watches are as much about fashion as they are about functionality. I am not convinced that the new watch manufacturers have learned this lesson.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Just give me a nice watch with a nice LCD screen and big font with a calculator function for <$50. I'll use a cell phone, tablet or laptop for the rest

V338

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I have a pebble and it does just what I want, screen calls and texts without having to pull out phone, unlock it etc. Lasts a week between charges, can swim with it. I have a Droid Maxx and it keeps it unlocked as a trusted device very cool.

prand903

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Start working at home with Google. It’s the most-financialy rewarding I've ever done. On tuesday I got a gorgeous BMW after having earned $7439 this last month. I actually started five months/ago and practically straight away was bringin in at least $74, per-hour. visit this site right here Pow6.com

Status
Not open for further replies.