What Is Amazon Prime?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metulburr

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I dont find amazon prime to be worth it. I got a free 12 month trial and loved it. I ordered stuff all the time on the 2 day trial. I hated the movie/tv selection. It was just downright bad. Netflix is WAY better. I loved the 2 day shipping. The only real reason i would want amazon prime is for the 2 day shipping and only that. So when i look at buying it i could care less about the rest.

If you are patient you can find a lot of stuff on ebay with free shipping. The same items. However because they come straight from china, they take a month or so. Instead, on amazon, marketers bought these items from china and store them here in the US and jack up the price (even if you have amazon prime). I would often rather save 70% and wait longer than spend more to get it in 2 days. Some items you cannot find on ebay though. Good quality items do not ship from china.

Ulincsys

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
"Amazon Prime members can also download these songs and listen to them *online*". Should this not be *offline*?

therosses

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
My experience with Amazon overall is fantastic. But their Prime Video services in the U.S. is a joke, even with a 80+Mbs connection. Just search for "Amazon Prime instant video freezes" using Google, if you don't believe me.

May 27, 2016
So if I get Prime, I get 3 months free, is that included in my pay or do I in essence get 15 months of streaming aka a year for 99 and an extra 3 months that is free? I'm thinking if all I get is a year [12 months] and a year [12 months] later I am asked to pay again if I wish to keep it then I didn't get a "free" 3 months.

GeerDad

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for this write up. We've been wondering about signing up for Prime for a while but now I think we will.

Aug 27, 2016
First time using Amazon prime and guaranteed two day shipping didn't come through on time, needed the item for a scheduled trip. Amazon doesn't offer to compensate for the item. Why guarantee two-day shipping when it is so commonly 3-4-5 + day shipping? Also the carrier they use in my area is known for poor service yet Amazon continues to hire them over more reliable carriers like fedex or ups.

gusguy

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I previously was able to listen to stations with my prime membership. I cannot do that now because of their new upcharge program. Thank god I didnt cancel my serius account. I am going to expand my service with them. I would pay 10 times more than it is worth just to ****them As soon as another company offers discount delivery I am done with them. Their tablets are horrible anyway, my kids wont use them, their phone was a rip off, my daughter hates it(i would never use it). We have 3 other services for video, they cant compete with Netflix, not even Hulu. The only thing of value i get from them is discounted delivery. Which Walmart is already giving for free. last time i checked its actually UPS that does the delivery, I like them. That is the way the market is going. So what are they going to be left with? delivering groceries, how stupid is that. Nobody wants that.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I got prime and pay yearly.. its music and movies tv shows and just stuff.. and I guess stuff i don't use as yet.. I recently cut the permum package from cable to save money.. along with hula and Netflixs I am now covered with more watchable stuff.. most likely I'll never watch..

nvass

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
It's not $99. They just charged me $108.16, claiming it to be a tax. Tax for a membership fee?!
This is ridiculous.

helobuff

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
you need to update the pantry thing- that is a monthly fee now separate from prime.. and shipping is higher. $5.99 a month, $4.99 if your a prime member and then box ships for $7.99 or free ship over $40 but membership is still $5.99 a month.. use to be free for prime members. I just ended my prime because of this. .. they keep chipping away at the prime benefits and sectioning off the store to shop in different departments like it is an exclusive spa or something.. I can shop all at walmart for no membership fees and shipping is free. So what is the benefit of prime now?

Jul 20, 2018
Major Amazon prime benefits:

FREE Two-Day Shipping on over 100 million items
Watch thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Video
online Stream millions of songs and thousands of playlists
Also get free e-books, unlimited photo storage

They also going to cross Netflix as well.

Jul 24, 2018
I just looked at my credit card statement and I see somehow I got deducted $120 for prime but I don't want it! Is there a number to call to cancel it?

Status
Not open for further replies.