What is OLED

Solution
t3.jpg

typical lcd panels require a backlight for them to function as the lcd does not produce light. depending on which colors are turned on rgb you get rgb or b/w. however, even with the pixels turned off (to get black) you often get dark grey at best since the backlight still needs to be on for adjacent pixels. this can result in things like "clouding" or bright/dark spots depending on what kind of backlight you have. grid array shows much less of this.

oled uses small leds which emit light on their own so do not need a backlight.

what are the major benefits of this? highly increased contrast and deeper blacks. basically the same principle of plasma which uses cells which...
Overpriced garbage.

No, but seriously. There's no value in buying an OLED, it's a niche for those wanting the best of the best currently available. VA TV's are getting dangerously close to OLED's, partly why LG chose to compare their OLED's to their IPS screens, in order to bring out the obvious difference, the average consumers otherwise wouldn't notice.

t3.jpg

typical lcd panels require a backlight for them to function as the lcd does not produce light. depending on which colors are turned on rgb you get rgb or b/w. however, even with the pixels turned off (to get black) you often get dark grey at best since the backlight still needs to be on for adjacent pixels. this can result in things like "clouding" or bright/dark spots depending on what kind of backlight you have. grid array shows much less of this.

oled uses small leds which emit light on their own so do not need a backlight.

what are the major benefits of this? highly increased contrast and deeper blacks. basically the same principle of plasma which uses cells which emit light http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/plasma-display-side.jpg

even the best lcd screens (va and ips are a type of lcd panel technology) can only offer contrast and black levels as good as their backlighting and even the very best backlighting available (due to cost mainly) are grid array which while better than we have had before is not even close to plasma or oled which do it at a pixel level.

the negatives about oled are longevity - there is a problem with one of the colors failing in the long term though i forget which it was.

instead of chalking things up as garbage or making broad claims it helps to know the differences and explain them as such. while i do personally believe that oled is not quite ready for mass market tvs (it needs to be improved) it is certainly a viable technology and in fact is used in most cellphones. even plasma televisions still have a place (though once oled improves this may phase them out).

for the average person, just about any tv with decent backlighting would work.

Solution
If I wasn't sharing my opinion, then I would include links to facts as well. I'm judging it from what I've seen. VA is by next year definitely not going to be able to tell the difference between VA and OLED. The only thing keeping it alive is the clever marketing. Look at their conference as they compare it to an IPS panel, it's hilarious.