What is the best laptop for university ?

reuben751

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I want to help my sister get a good laptop for university and she has a budget of anything under £550, She will be only using it for writing documents and using google. Thank you.

noyaus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
I guess a good laptop as said before would be a macbook that's what my cousin uses. I use the Surface Pro for my school work. It's great for taking notes etc. Microsoft are also releasing the Surface Go which seems to be alright.

But I think Dell Inspirion 13 7000 as said by asoroka would be a pretty good one to use and it shouldn't have any issues using google or any of the Microsoft Suite Products.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I would look for portability an battery life.

What about software, does that have a separate budget.

What is she comfortable using.

I would recommend a macbook, mainly because it is a closed eco-system and easy to use.

reuben751

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

Anything above windows 7 and probably something light, small An didn’t long battery life’s thaT can use google and word without crashing.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
perhaps a surface pro or a Dell Inspirion 13 7000 .

So what I would look for is
16GB RAM (8GB Min)
500GB SSD (256GB Min)
13 - 15" screen (FHD)
i5 or i7.

From personal experience you need this to last for 4 years, so it will be better to get the extra RAM and SSD capacity.

Check to see what student discounts she can get, I know that Apple do give discount, and I think Dell do as well.

I still think a macbook will be a better option for someone who is not PC literate.

noyaus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
I guess a good laptop as said before would be a macbook that's what my cousin uses. I use the Surface Pro for my school work. It's great for taking notes etc. Microsoft are also releasing the Surface Go which seems to be alright.

But I think Dell Inspirion 13 7000 as said by asoroka would be a pretty good one to use and it shouldn't have any issues using google or any of the Microsoft Suite Products.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AdmiralKappa Laptop General Discussion 0
K Laptop General Discussion 4
S Laptop General Discussion 9
A Laptop General Discussion 1
Q Laptop General Discussion 3
S Laptop General Discussion 3
D Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 7
S Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 7