What is the best type of connection of PC to home theater system

daverader1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
What is the best possible multimedia/video/audio connection from a PC to a home theater system? The computer is a new Dell XPS 8500 with a Radeon HD 6850 250 bit graphics card and Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4. The home theater system has a brand new Directv HD DVR receiver, Sony Blu Ray player (model BDP-S570), and a relatively new Yamaha stereo receiver (model RX-V467). I plan to play home movies and other downloaded video files on my home theater through my new Dell XPS 8500.

Thanks!

gabelevvvy

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I use wireless network to share content between my PC and Smart TV. I download Plex app on my computer, make sure my LG Smart TV is on the same wireless internet and send files to it. It is so easy and hassle free.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
^ +1

HDMI is your best option. You need 4 in total.
One from the computer to the Yamaha.
One from your DirectTv to your Yamaha.
One from your Sony Blu-Ray player to your Yamaha.
One from your Yamaha to your TV.

Depending on the Yamaha, you might have to run a TOSLINK fiber cable from either AV1 or AV4 to your computer's Optical Out connector. You'll then have to (if possible) go into the menu and assign the HDMI to whichever input you plugged the TOSLINK into.

I haven't read through the manual of your receiver, you'll have to check into that.