Question What is the compatibility of the upcoming new 5g Network to older iPhones?

eureka16

Honorable
Aug 16, 2015
I currently own an iPhone 4. I purchased it when it first came out. It has served my purpose, but I can no longer update the OS resulting in a loss of apps I have always used but no longer can due to the OS limitations. The price of these new iPhones is ridiculous! I was looking at the iPhone 6 or maybe the 7. My concern is the new 5g network coming out and the compatibility of these iPhones designed for the 4g LTE network. Hopefully, someone can advise me on this dilemma.

eureka16

Honorable
Aug 16, 2015
4G won't go away for a while.
I kind of figured 4G would be around a while. I'm slowly crawling along on 3G. I will wait for the iPhone 7 price to drop.
I am assuming when the 5G network becomes available the new phones that rollout will be made for that network, new OS followed by the usual OS updates which will affect the older phones using the 4G network. It's unfortunate my iPhone 4 will no longer update. It's a matter of time until it no longer functions. Thank you for your reply.