What is the difference between these headsets

Solution
The more expensive one has usb connector and provides 7.1 sound emulated on stereo speakers.
The cheaper one uses plain mini-jacks to connect to your soundcard. It has standard stereo sound.

Bejusek

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
The more expensive one has usb connector and provides 7.1 sound emulated on stereo speakers.
The cheaper one uses plain mini-jacks to connect to your soundcard. It has standard stereo sound.

Solution

Bejusek

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Personally I never liked the emulated 7.1 sound.
Windows creates new audio device for USB headset, which sometimes is inconvenient when you want to use speakers along with the headset. You have to switch between audio devices in applications or simply disconnect headset each time you want to use your speakers, but how many times can USB plug / port be connected and disconnected before breaking down?

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

I take out and reinsert my Corsair Vengeance 1500s atleast 3 times a week and they are still going fine. Just don't abuse a usb port and it will last you forever.

One thing OP if you are going to go the usb route you will not be able to use a sound card. At all. Also I find the dolby surround to be extremely accurate. Though that functionality isn't only on usb headsets its also on sound cards. The ONLY reason I bought a usb headset was because with my setup I cannot put in a sound card, it simply won't fit without me overhauling my rig. If given the choice I would grab the non usb headset and grab a cheap asus sound card.

air tree

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not quite a audio person but do you need a sound card for non usb headset even if you have pretty good intergrated sound? the sound on my computer is ROG SupremeFX Audio 8-Channel High Definition Audio

IF your on board sound is good, you don't need a sound card. At least not an el cheapo sound card.