what is the rms per channel of my amplifier

ryanbang

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
hi, bought a cheap amplifier. box says its 1400 Watts max power
T.H.D Rated RMS power <.05%
Freq. Response: 20Hz-30KHz
Impedance 4-16 ohms

i want to know the power per channel rms?can anyone help me with my problem?
thanks.

Solution
The only way to tell for sure is to open it and check the output modules or transistors to see what power rating they have or measure the actual power. The 1400 watt figure is useless. Regular receivers, integrated amplifiers and basic power amps are required by the FCC in the US to measure and present the power spec in a uniform way to make comparisons easy (although there is a lot of room to make things look better than they are here too). Car stereo and subwoofers are exempt. With subwoofers the power doesn't really matter since it doesn't help you compare which woofer will play louder or better. In car stereo they just lie like crazy.

dish_moose

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
When an amplifier says 1400 Watts Peak - this usually means the power was measured at 1 specific frequency - most times 1KHz. Peak power is a useless spec - most quality amps will give true power == r.m.s/channel - not all channels added together.
-Bruce

The only way to tell for sure is to open it and check the output modules or transistors to see what power rating they have or measure the actual power. The 1400 watt figure is useless. Regular receivers, integrated amplifiers and basic power amps are required by the FCC in the US to measure and present the power spec in a uniform way to make comparisons easy (although there is a lot of room to make things look better than they are here too). Car stereo and subwoofers are exempt. With subwoofers the power doesn't really matter since it doesn't help you compare which woofer will play louder or better. In car stereo they just lie like crazy.

Solution