What kind of computer for college?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hello peoples, new here and I'll be going away to college in the fall and I'm so excited! I need a new laptop for college but I've heard from a lot of people that macs are just exceptional for every field now, and I will be an International Business major.

I was looking at this pc:
ASUS G73JH-A1 - XOTIC PC - ASUS Gaming Laptop

and the flagship 17" macbook pro for my mac:
Apple - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.

I know there are many differences between what each are used for. I figured that even though the Asus is built for gaming, and I want to game when I have time off, it would also be able to run any program or multiple programs exceptionally well.

But then there's the mac, who could go wrong with a mac, I hear it is widely accepted now as the standard laptop in most fields. However, the specs of the macbook seem inferior to the Asus, and for a higher cost. I know macs are not great for gaming, but I don't mind if I go without the games, its just a side hobby.

I want your opinion on this, which do you think I should get? What would be better for my field and has performance? Thanks in advance I look forward for your reply.