What kind of headphones do you think i should buy?

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Hello

I would like to buy a headset for gaming and on the go music listening
The microphone is not too important (if there is 1 thats mostly enough ;) )
I would prefer a wired option (no batteries to mess with)
And also a virtual 7.1 i would really like to try that :D

Budget is around 100$ max like 140$ but price/value prefered :)

I came across the hyperx cloud 2 the logitech g35(this is a bit more expensive) and the corsair hs40 (a bit cheaper)

Also open for new ideas
And thank you for your help :)

Solution
You also want on the go music listening. I'd recommend hitting up a music store and picking up a pair of over ear studio headphones. get something with a removable cable so it can be easily replaced when damaged.

Those will rock for the music, and for gaming just use an on board headphone amp on the motherboard, a soundcard with headphone amp, or an external USB dac. You can just use standard onboad sound but would require a low impedance headphones like 32 ohms since you wouldn't have a headphone amp.

To get the virtual surround sound with regular stereo headphones use something like Razer Surround software. It's rated better than dolby surround and Creative EX. It's the same setup Razer gaming headsets use.

A nice set of...

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I have the Corsair Vengeance 1400 and it's very good sounding and importantly very comfortable too. The Vengeance 1500 is the same headset but with the 7.1 surround you're after.
Never tried it, but Logitech tend to make good products so I'd be confident that the G35 is worth a look too.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
You also want on the go music listening. I'd recommend hitting up a music store and picking up a pair of over ear studio headphones. get something with a removable cable so it can be easily replaced when damaged.

Those will rock for the music, and for gaming just use an on board headphone amp on the motherboard, a soundcard with headphone amp, or an external USB dac. You can just use standard onboad sound but would require a low impedance headphones like 32 ohms since you wouldn't have a headphone amp.

To get the virtual surround sound with regular stereo headphones use something like Razer Surround software. It's rated better than dolby surround and Creative EX. It's the same setup Razer gaming headsets use.

A nice set of stereo headphones will run you $50-200 or so average depending on how much you want to splurge. They should last forever. SOmething like Seinheisser, Grado, AKG, etc... can all be repaired with replacable parts and ear cushions. And the removable 3.5mm standard cable can be replaced for $5. You'll never get that kind of reliability with a USB gaming headset that can't be used for music.

For a mic just get an external USB mic. SOmething like a Blue Snowball or a Samson. If you have a webcam you can use the built in mic on that. If a webcam is something you'd like you can get one of those then you have your mic.

Solution

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Thank you i like the idea i def wont buy a sound card so will use the onboard i wouldnt buy a separate mic Seinheisser does have good stuff but not cheap i will decide one of their cheaper products or hyperx cloud 2 as that is nice too will check some comparison :)
SENNHEISER PX 360 this cost as much as the cloud 2 will compare thoes some way :D

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

The Vengeance 1400 is 3.5mm / analogue / stereo
The Vengeance 1500 is USB / digital / 7.1

I preferred the analogue headset because I have a good sound card to plug it in to (Asus Xonar U7).

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
If your just using regular onboard sound check the impedance of the headphones. They range from 32ohms to 600ohms. The lower the better since it will be easier for the onboard sound to push them and get some volume. 600ohms would be very quiet on the computer without a headphone amp.

I use a set of AKG k240 MKII which are 55ohms. They work great with regular onboard sound. The AKG's are very nice and well rated, but the only problem is the removable cable is a mini XLR connector. You have to buy the cable from AKG and it's more expensive and harder to find. I'd recommend a 3.5mm connection at the headphones. I think most brands are 3.5mm and AKG is the only one using the mini XLR. The XLR connector locks though which is a bonus, and the AKG's are fantastic and very well priced.

I garantee you can get a set of AKG, Grado, Seinheisser, Sony, Shure, Technics, etc... at the same price of any computer headset that will blow them out of the water. You can get a set of AKG at $50 or $1000. Whatever your budget you can find something great.

I find the best places for headphones are music stores like guitar stores. Guitar Center and places like that. Great selection and prices.

And the Razer Surround software can be downloaded from Razer for free. It's free to use or pay $20 to unlock the tuning mode so you can customize it. That'll make your stereo headphones as good for gaming as any USB headset.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
I bought the hyperx cloud 2 its not bad gets the job done not bad sound quality too and it was the first one they could ship to Hungary :) (akg doesnt sell products here :( sony and sennheiser does but only shiped from abroad :/ would have taken weeks cloud 2 was in stock :D