What laptop should I choose for non-gamer?

cloudkillua

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Hi everyone, I’m trying to buy a laptop and I’m having trouble choosing. I don’t play any games, but I do some video editing, photoshop, stream A LOT of movies, and just general usage beyond that. I do not have a desktop, so I will depend on this laptop anytime I need to use a computer. I am a newbie at this, but I have done some preliminary research and am interested in a dedicated graphics card. I know they come at a higher price so I don’t know how useful that is with the things I will be doing on this laptop and whether it’s worth my money. However I’d like to get the best in the market within my price range (below $900 CAD). I have my eyes on the below laptop:

Asus N56JN-DB71-CA w/ Core i7-4700HQ, 12GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray Combo, 15.6in FHD, GeForce GT 840M, Win 8.1 at $800 CAD

There’s another laptop which is cheaper but with significantly lower specs:

LENOVO E540 I7-4702MQ 2.2/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/DR/INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600/15.6/W7P-W8P NB at $625 CAD

I was wondering should I pay the difference to get the 1st one? Or if someone could recommend another decent laptop around this price range, that’d be great.
Thanks for all your help.