What laptop to buy?

Eggtoaster

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
Hello everyone

I'm 18 years old and about to go to college and I'm planning on buying a new laptop that I can bring with me in school but also can use for some gaming. I searched around and have found these 2 laptops:

Asus G551JW:
Core i7 4720HQ
GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5
16GB RAM
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

MSI GE62 2QE:
Core i7 4720HQ
GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5
8GB RAM
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

So as you can probably tell the video card of the MSI is slightly better then the Asus one but I don't think it will be too much of a difference to be honest. I have always heard really good things about Asus and their build quality and also really like the looks of their laptops but the MSI isn't bad looking either but I don't know about their build quality. Should I go for the MSI or the Asus one?

Thanks for reading!

Solution

metalicgeek

Estimable
The G551JW has twice the RAM of the GE62, and also has an IPS display rather than the TN panel on the GE62. The difference in performance between the 960M and 965M ranges between 10 and 25% faster in favor of the 965M. This difference can mount up over time, of course, and it's more noticeable for games that perform poorly with one card, but 25% better with another card.

My advice is to go for the GE62, due to the better graphics card. However, if you value superior display quality, and will be fine with somewhat lower gaming performance, the G551 is the way to go.

Eggtoaster

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Thanks for responding! I think that I'll go with the MSI one but what about the fan noise? Is it acceptable? I don't mind having some fan noise as long as it's not too much and is the 8gb of RAM enough for games and general use for the computer?

metalicgeek

Estimable

8GB is definitely sufficient. As for fan noise, it won't be an issue.

Solution